• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Sibelius Sym 5 - 26 April '15

Encouraged to hear on last Friday's Essential Classics that Rob Cowan would be including a recording of Sib 5 on Sunday Morning,(26 April), 9am onwards, by the Swedish RSO/Celibidache. This is a rare outing which I managed to record on spec some years ago. A performance of breadth and power. Highly recommended.
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
    Encouraged to hear on last Friday's Essential Classics that Rob Cowan would be including a recording of Sib 5 on Sunday Morning,(26 April), 9am onwards, by the Swedish RSO/Celibidache. This is a rare outing which I managed to record on spec some years ago. A performance of breadth and power. Highly recommended.
    Will this be available on iPlayer listen again, and if so, how long for?

And thanks very much for a great heads-up on this.

Comment

• slarty

This is a truly great interpretation if, as I expect, it is the 1971 performance that was once issued by DG in a 4 CD set of various live performances with the Swedish Orchestra.
      It was coupled with the Sibelius second, the only two of his symphonies that Celi ever conducted.
      It was a live concert from the Konserthus Stockholm given on the 21 March 1971. the sound is very good radio stereo.
      I have always thought that DG should have split some of their box sets of Celibidache into single issues as this Sibelius disc is a standout. The orginal box set which is long since deleted also included a Dvorak Cello Concerto with Du Pre.
      I would recommend to all Sibelians to set their recorders for this!

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Sibelius Sym 5 - 26 April '15

Gotcha! Successfully managed to get a second recording of this superlative performance on minidisc. In turn, I've decided to opt for a CD-R which will also include a first rate recording of Smetana's 'From My Life' String Quartet from yesterday's Disc of the Week on CD Review.

Celibidache's Sib 5 is, indeed, mesmeric. I hear it a couple of times each year and always reach the same conclusion: 'Downright explosively, tensely, good'.

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

An inspiring performance that puts me in mind of Bernstein and the LSO at the Edinburgh Festival, both share unhurried tempi, passionate intensity in the string playing and an understanding of how to balance the brass writing in the final pages.

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

I loved this recording! Absolutely mesmerising!

I've discovered Celibidache courtesy of someone who was selling Celi's EMI CDs quite cheaply. I thought his 'Pathetique' symphony was superb.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
              I loved this recording! Absolutely mesmerising!

I've discovered Celibidache courtesy of someone who was selling Celi's EMI CDs quite cheaply. I thought his 'Pathetique' symphony was superb.
              Some thoughts from those who know on which of the Celibidache box sets might be best to invest in would be useful.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• slarty

There is a fabulous offer on Amazon sellers. Celi's French Russian EMI box for 18 pounds (11 CDs).
                The EMI symphonies box is also very good.
                the DGG boxes are difficult to find or very expensive now. if the Brahms symphonies is available, grab it.
                either of the Bruckner boxes would do very well. The DG is better. Once Celi began to conduct sitting down, a la Otto, his performances tended to slow down even more.
                Try the French/Russian box. it is wonderful

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

I've just retrieved the EMI Bruckner 12 CD boxset, Munchner Philharmoniker/Celibidache, for a selected spin during the next few days.

Beefy, #2. It may yet be possible to relieve Mafeking! Do drop me a PM when you return to these shores.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    Will this be available on iPlayer listen again, and if so, how long for?

And thanks very much for a great heads-up on this.
                    Should remain available in Radio 3's HD Sound for 30 days.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Should remain available in Radio 3's HD Sound for 30 days.
                      Thanks very much Bryn. That's enough time for me to be able to record it.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

I
                        Originally posted by slarty View Post
                        There is a fabulous offer on Amazon sellers. Celi's French Russian EMI box for 18 pounds (11 CDs).
                        The EMI symphonies box is also very good.
                        the DGG boxes are difficult to find or very expensive now. if the Brahms symphonies is available, grab it.
                        either of the Bruckner boxes would do very well. The DG is better. Once Celi began to conduct sitting down, a la Otto, his performances tended to slow down even more.
                        Try the French/Russian box. it is wonderful
                        Thanks Slarty. I have taken note of your comments, and payday isn't too far away.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                        X