X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Philharmonia/Ashkenazy April 19 2015

Tonight's concert live from the Royal Festival Hall, London.

Scriabin: RĂªverie
    Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 5 in A major, K. 219
    Tchaikovsky: Manfred Symphony

Eric Silberger (violin)
    Philharmonia Orchestra
    Vladimir Ashkenazy

A rather swift return visit of Tchaikovsky's Manfred from Ashkenazy and the Philharmonia. Last given by them in the RFH in November 2013, they will now have the benefit of the refurbished organ. An excellent Sunday night programme, I think.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • johnn10
    • Mar 2011

A double first from Katy Derham tonight. I have never heard Maazel pronounced the way she does. Secondly she managed to crash the opening of the Mozart with her witterings. Never heard that before in several decades of listening to live concerts and operas.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnn10 View Post
      A double first from Katy Derham tonight. I have never heard Maazel pronounced the way she does. Secondly she managed to crash the opening of the Mozart with her witterings. Never heard that before in several decades of listening to live concerts and operas.
      Disappointing on both counts I agree. Absolutely no excuse for crashing the opening like that, after all she can see what's going on. Be interesting to see if the I-player repeat can be corrected.

Comment

• johnn10
        • Mar 2011

At the end of the broadcast Katie Derham said that tomorrow evening's broadcast of Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk would be live. This is definitely not the case -it is a recording from last November. She also said that there was live music every evening on Radio 3 . Again this is not the case. Who wrote her script?
        Last edited by johnn10; 19-04-15, 22:27.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

The contributions from Katie Derham aside, this was a thrilling performance of Tchaikovsky's Manfred. It's long been an Ashkenazy speciality and it didn't disappoint.

As it seems as if only johnn10 and I tuned in tonight do catch this on the I-player. Stunning playing throughout but a special bravo for the timpani player (Andrew Smith or has he retired?)

Presentation aside (something Mr Davey needs to sort out) this was the kind of evening that Radio 3 is all about. Magical.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            The contributions from Katie Derham aside, this was a thrilling performance of Tchaikovsky's Manfred. It's long been an Ashkenazy speciality and it didn't disappoint.

As it seems as if only johnn10 and I tuned in tonight do catch this on the I-player. Stunning playing throughout but a special bravo for the timpani player (Andrew Smith or has he retired?)

Presentation aside (something Mr Davey needs to sort out) this was the kind of evening that Radio 3 is all about. Magical.
            I listened too Pet,well the Manfred ,missed the 1st half.
            Not sure it could have been done any better,super stuff.
            Bonus Rachmaninov preludes and a Smetana snippet followed,marvelous.
            Not a lot we can do about the amateurish presentation,seems we are stuck with it.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Glad to see that Vladimir is getting some well deserved latter day recognition.

Comment

• johnn10
                • Mar 2011

And I thought the two main pieces worked very well together. Not an obvious coupling (to me at least) but it made for a very satisfying if rather short evening.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                  I remember seeing him in a very early conducting engagement, well out of the limelight, with the RLPO in the Victoria Hall, Hanley in 1977. Mozart PC 17 and Rachmaninov 2nd Symphony were on the programme.

Comment

• Simon B
                    • Dec 2010

Stunning playing throughout but a special bravo for the timpani player (Andrew Smith or has he retired?)
                    Technically retired, but still fairly regularly appearing. He was there (in no uncertain terms) last Thursday for Fountains/Festivals/Pines and by the sounds of it also in this Manfred. Hopefully he'll be the Maurice Murphy of the timps and have multiple unsuccessful retirements that mostly involve carrying on playing for years!

That said, auditions for a successor are imminent.

Comment

• Irrelohe
                      • Mar 2014

Disappointing on both counts I agree. Absolutely no excuse for crashing the opening like that, after all she can see what's going on. Be interesting to see if the I-player repeat can be corrected.
                      And, if I remember rightly, she managed to get Ashkenazy's first name wrong, stressing the first rather than the second syllable (though she's hardly unique in that respect).

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        I don't think he has lacked latter-day recognition.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          I don't think he has lacked latter-day recognition.
                          I've noticed, over the years, the number of times his recordings come recommenced, or at least, in the final selection. And he will perform outside the cities - e.g. in Bedford with the Philharmonia. My respect for him only increased hearing the interview on Music Matters, 4 April, still available on the iPlayer.
                          Celebrated Russian-born pianist and conductor Vladimir Ashkenazy talks to Tom Service.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

We very much enjoyed an Ashkenazy concert a few years ago at the Anvil Basingstoke with the Philharmonia doing Rachmaninov 3 + Vadim Repin in the Sibelius Concerto. Our first visit to that venue with its excellent acoustic.

Comment

Working...
                            X