X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Interesting programming - or not?

Both tonight's & tomorrow night's broadcast concerts have songs from Mahler's Das Knaben Wunderhorn in the first part. An opportunity to compare different interpretations (both by BBC orchestras) or a rather unfortunate clash?
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Never mind them, don't miss David Matthews' 8th Symphony on Friday!

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

Certainly not to be missed.
      There has to be a Proms run out for this, surely?
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

Also,don't miss the Manze Prom that included our very own Pabmusic's Shropshire Lad and RVW 3 (TTN tonight).

Also don't miss Gennady Rozhdestvensky conducting Gerald Hugh Tyrwhitt-Wilson (Lord Berners to his mates) and Cyril Scott's lovely Violin Concerto (TTN tomorrow)

Off topic,sorry.

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          Both tonight's & tomorrow night's broadcast concerts have songs from Mahler's Das Knaben Wunderhorn in the first part. An opportunity to compare different interpretations (both by BBC orchestras) or a rather unfortunate clash?
          (I assume this is a rhetorical question but) I’d say the latter. As it is discussed elsewhere, having to fill five evenings with live transmitted concerts seems to very much restrict the choice of music. There are interesting works but they are more an exception than a rule. I’d rather have live recorded concerts selected to make interesting weekly programmes than all these big-name dominated live broadcast.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Semi-rhetorical; I don't suppose it was done deliberately to provide the opportunity for comparison, but it did so nevertheless, especially as tonight's singer was a baritone, & tomorrow's a mezzo. I also didn't catch the beginning of the programme tonight so missed the fact that it was the complete songs, with some (presumably those not orchestrated by Mahler?) orchestrated by Detlev Glanert.

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

It would have made this (I expect) unfortunate clash into an interesting programming if some form of human intelligence had been involved in the production of website, and pointed out the possibility of comparison instead of reeling out yet more cliché adjectives and phrases.

Mahler doesn’t usually come into my listening list but now that you have pointed out, I might listen to the two performances just for the matter of interest. Quite a change from Monteverdi’s madrigals. So, thank you for mentioning it.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

I think the clash is worse because both orchestras are BBC groups. Given that a large part of their work is broadcast you'd think that there would be some sort of programme co-ordination. Clashes between commercial orchestras are more understandable, although there have been some between the RSNO & BBCSSO that could & should have been avoided, as they perform on different evenings in Edinburgh & Glasgow, & two Shostakovitch 10s (for example) in a season could be considered one too many!

Comment

• Vile Consort
                  • Nov 2010

Does anyone else remember the Feedback programme donkey's years ago where a listener had complained about some work (Brahms's second symphony, I think) having been broadcast four or five times within the space of a year?

There was an interview with somebody who worked in a department whose role it was to ensure that such repetition didn't happen. She was apologetic.

I expect the department still exists, but that one word has been removed from its remit.

Comment

Working...
                  X