X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Rimsky premiere at ROH

I'm looking forward to the Tsar's Bride at Covent Garden on 23 April. It appears to be set in modern Russia. Putin=Ivan the Terrible? I got to know the work through the classic black-and-white Svetlanov film on DVD. I'm in a bit of a Rimsky phase at the moment....songs with Olga Borodina

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

... and I've just acquired this unashamedly romantic chamber music twofer, recently re-issued classic performances. including a lovely rendition of R-K's Quintet for piano and wind.

• french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    I'm looking forward to the Tsar's Bride at Covent Garden on 23 April. It appears to be set in modern Russia. Putin=Ivan the Terrible?
    Opening night tonight?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
      • Mar 2007

Just back from the opening night and am starting on my review...
      Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Gissa link, then, won't you, when you're done
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Gissa link, then, won't you, when you're done
          All done... Opera Britannia review at http://tinyurl.com/RKTsarsB
          Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

The distraught Gryaznoy confesses his actions, after which Lyubasha arrives to admit she switched the powders, leading to a bloodbath which leaves her, Gryaznoy and Marfa all dead. No-one was seriously expecting a happy ending now, were they?
            Is there such a thing as a Russian opera with a happy ending?

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Good point, but there must be some?! The Tale of Tsar Saltan has a happy ending, assuming you weren't one of the wicked aunts stung by Guidon-bee...

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Thanks for the comprehensive review, IGI - as good as a seat in the house!

Comment

• LHC
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                  Good point, but there must be some?! The Tale of Tsar Saltan has a happy ending, assuming you weren't one of the wicked aunts stung by Guidon-bee...
                  Cherivichki (or the Tsarina's slippers as the ROH had it) has a happy ending, as does Iolanta, and that's just Tchaikovsky.

Shostakovich's 1st opera the Nose also has a happy ending as Kovalyov is finally reunited with his nose.
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    ... and I've just acquired this unashamedly romantic chamber music twofer, recently re-issued classic performances. including a lovely rendition of R-K's Quintet for piano and wind.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//ELQ4802397.htm
                    Many thanks for this link, gurnemanz. I remember the R-K performance from its days on LP and it would be delightful to make its acquaintance once again.

Comment

• Mandryka

I saw this on Monday evening. Enjoyable but - as with so many of R-K's operatic works - the lack of memorable melodies means it will never gain a permanent place in the repertory.

That said, I thought the production was imaginative - having just returned from St. Petersburg, I recognised the Russia it depicted. I did rather wish the male protagonists hadn't all been costumed in the same type of business suit - from where I was sitting in the ampitheatre, it was difficult to distinguish them.

I'm still not sure why the scene changes took so long: I'm sure I've seen other ROH productions where more complex changes have been done in less time.

Comment

• Curalach

I'm sure I can't be the only member who keeps reading the title of this thread as the "Risky" premiere at ROH!!

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                          • Mar 2007

Having reviewed the opening night, I called in at Covent Garden on Tuesday to interview Marina Poplavskaya. She was charming and we could have talked all day, especially on Don Carlo:

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            Thanks for the review link. We had a good evening. Despite the dark atmosphere of power politics, fear, loathing, death, betrayal, deception etc which prevails, the poor wronged and deranged Marfa is actually sublimely happy at the end in her own private garden with her loved one, the sky and the flowers. It was with her final aria going round my head that I left the theatre. Beautiful feelings were still possible amid all the degradation.

Comment

Working...
                            X