Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lento
    • Jan 2014

R3 Live in Concert 26th Feb 7.45 - OAE, Fischer, Mullova Brahms Violin concerto

I wonder if anyone out there would care to give a view on the Brahms violin concerto as performed in this concert?

I have to admit to having been rather underwhelmed, and found myself missing the more nourished sonorities and, yes, vibrato associated with more "modern" performances. Mullova, in particular, failed to engage me fully on this occasion. Maybe it's a"marmite" thing.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lento View Post
    I wonder if anyone out there would care to give a view on the Brahms violin concerto as performed in this concert?

I have to admit to having been rather underwhelmed, and found myself missing the more nourished sonorities and, yes, vibrato associated with more "modern" performances. Mullova, in particular, failed to engage me fully on this occasion. Maybe it's a"marmite" thing.
    I found the sonorities 'interesting' rather than attractive. Rightly or wrongly I have always heard strong zigeuner echoes in the Brahms Violin Concerto, and as such, the use of vibrato seems to me to be entirely apposite as far as the soloist is concerned. I will listen again.

Comment

• muzzer
      • Nov 2013

I was similarly underwhelmed and am not sure why. Maybe the OAE sound is not for me. The pieces played in the interval I loved.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

i found the broadcast flat and uninvolving but then played Isabel Faust and Mahler Chamber Orchestra on iTunes and am in gentle rhapsodic delight ... the microphones seemed distant from the performers in the broadcast? presumably the works for smaller ensembles were close miked?
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Those prepared to give it another go, and withing striking distance of London, can catch it all again live at the RFH next wednesday.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

Lots going for the performance of the New World Symphony: Or did it too add up to something less than the sum of its parts? Will listen again for sure. Great timps in the Dvorak anyhow!

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

We're going to hear it at the Lincoln Centre tomorrow so it'll be interesting to hear the broadcast after. I've always loved Mullova's recording with Abbado and Die Berliner Philharmonika.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

All being done again at the RFH tonight. Plenty of tickets at all prices left, ( although the pricing structure for tonight is very odd, nothing between £9 and £24). Kids £2.50

free pre concert talk at 5.45 about the Dvorak .
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  All being done again at the RFH tonight. Plenty of tickets at all prices left, ( although the pricing structure for tonight is very odd, nothing between £9 and £24). Kids £2.50

free pre concert talk at 5.45 about the Dvorak .
                  We heard it at the Alice Tully hall in New York are were blown away!

Superb concert and, yes, great timps!

Comment

Working...
                  X