X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ventilhorn
    • Sep 2024

Performance on 3 - Monday to Friday

Rather than set up a new thread for every PO3, how about a general discussion on recent performances on Radio 3 and compare notes on what we have listened to over the past few days. This could be invaluable for members who have missed a particular evening and are wondering whether to invoke the pleasures of iPlayer at another time (within the seven day limit of course).

The 7.oopm start seems to be an inconvenience for some, returning from work for instance, and although this schedule is not likely to change, missing the opening piece often occurs and it would be helpful to learn from those who did hear it whether they considered it worthy of using "Listen Again" at a more convenient time.
    (Later that evening would be ideal, but I don't believe that would be possible with the present set up)

I appreciate that some MBs would prefer to submit posts on "What are you listening to now?" but that usually names the works without any further comment on the performance.

What do you all think about the idea?

Ventilhorn
  • Curalach

Originally posted by Ventilhorn View Post
    The 7.oopm start seems to be an inconvenience for some, returning from work for instance, and although this schedule is not likely to change
    You may have missed the well publicised change reported here http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/ch...-live-concerts and discussed with relief on these boards.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

It is indeed good news.

Comment

• Ventilhorn

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
        You may have missed the well publicised change reported here http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/ch...-live-concerts and discussed with relief on these boards.
        Thank you for that, Curalach

I'm very surprised that we are not receiving any posts from waldhorn. Rumour has it that whilst indulging himself playing his handhorn, he got his right hand stuck up the bell and is hopeless at typing with his left. We ventilhorn(valvehorn) players do not have that problem.

Can anyone throw any extra light on this subject?

VH
        Last edited by Guest; 14-04-11, 12:26.

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Hi VH If you are right it sounds an embarrassing and painful situation for waldhorn. Let's hope he contacts us to put our minds at rest.

I have just received my May BBC MM and indeed there seem to be a wonderful mix of 7.30pm concerts and recitals, live from about the 3rd May. However I am already looking forward to what it says is a Beecham evening on the 2nd May. Details to be confirmed later.

Salymap

Comment

• Chris Newman
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

VH,

We ventilhorn(valvehorn) players do not have that problem.
            Not according to Gerard Hoffnung

Comment

• Ventilhorn

Magnificent Choral Singing

Well, it was worth waiting for the end of the week to hear the full version of Berlioz "Romeo and Juliet"

Most former orchestral musicians will, like myself, have played the orchestral extracts on many occasions but very few will have taken part in a full performance, or even happened to hear it performed.

So for me, Friday Night really was Music Night and it was the chorus work by the BBC NOW Chorus and the Cardiff Polyphonic choir that was the high spot. I don't believe that I have ever heard a better-trained and more thrilling sound from a chorus. Credit must go in large part to the Chorus Master who prepared them and to Thiery Fischer who drew the sound out of them.

The orchestra played their part too, of course, but I confess that I was so taken with Berlioz's choral writing that I hardly noticed the soloists - except to say that Mr Lemolu, a splendid bass, did sound a little overpowering as a depiction of the gentle Friar Lawrence.

Well, I've played the overtures, I've played for Prokofiev's ballet with the Bolshoi at Covent Garden and now I've heard the full Berlioz choral version.

It was a great night. Try to catch it on "Listen Again"

VH

Comment

Working...
              X