X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ventilhorn
    • Sep 2024

Po3 bbcphilharmonic

A sensational concert by the BBC Philharmonic.

For my money, this is the BBCs Number one orchestra by a street.
    Tonight, Maestro Noseda and the orchestra gave the best concert that I have heard in many years.

The young violin soloist, Sergey Khachatryan gave a stunning reading of the little-known Shostakovitch 2nd concerto and the accompaniment was quite superb from all section; although Jonathan Goodall's horn solos were especially noteworthy (No pun intended)

The line up of Principal players in the BBC Philharmonic is most impressive and at least with this orchestra, you know who you might expect to see sitting in what seat.

So it was no surprise that the concert finished with a sparkling account of Mozart's famous No 40 in G minor - yes, with all the repeats - and justified

If you missed this concert, be sure to catch it on iPlayer.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-04-11, 21:01. Reason: Enlarge font
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Hmm. I found Khacharyan's performance well worth hearing, the contribution from Mr. Goodall somewhat less so, but then I am used to the various Russian orchestra recordings of the work. Not quite enough 'bite' from JG. I don't think the audio engineering helped much, (too much of the Decca Phase 4 about it). Oh, and Shostakovich's 2nd Violin Concerto "little-known"? Oistrakh alone is represented by at least three recordings of the work on CD, and I have a good half dozen different recordings of it in addition to those with its dedicatee. I for one know it far better than the 1st Violin Concerto (though that may be down to it's being coupled with Stepan Razin on the old Kondrashin directed Melodiya LP issue via which I was introduced to it). I found the Mozart performance less than riveting too. However, the follow on BBCNOW performances of Nielsen and Dean were a real treat. I tuned in a little late to catch the start of the Tchaikovsky.

Comment

• johnb
      • Mar 2007

I was always told that it is rude to shout.

(Must listen on iPlayer, or whatever it's called these days.)

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

It's still the iPlayer, john. The Radio Player is an additional route, not a replacement. I don't seem to have a use for it. The BBC provides all the UK radio channels i am interested in (Radios 3, 4, 4 extra and, very occasionally, 6Music).

Comment

• Curalach

Sergey Khachatryan is an impressive soloist in what is a very strong field. Last month he gave a fine performance of the Berg concerto with the Bournemouth and Karabits which I recorded to CD.
          I will do the same with the Shostakovich which, like Bryn, I know very well.

Comment

• Ventilhorn

Will somebody, maybe you Johnb, tell me why I type a new thread heading in upper case and everything comes out in lower case except the first letter?

Also, why can I not select bold type for the header, when I can for the actual message?[

Comment

Working...
            X