• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

The Makropulos Case from Brno: Opera Matinee 5 February

The Swedish soprano Gitta-Maria Sjoberg sings the role of Emily Marty in a production of Janacek's The Makropulos Case from Brno Opera, with the tenor Ales Briscein as Albert Gregor and the bass-baritone Frantisek Duriac as Dr Kolenaty
    Unique performances with BBC Orchestras, Choirs and other great orchestras

I bought this DVD a few years ago but it won’t play now (something about the region code?). The link is a reissue.
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

I know nothing of these technical matters, but "The Makropulos Case" Is a wonderful, magical, opera. I think, if I had to make this effort, I would play my recording(s) to anyone who said they dont understand/like/know/want opera.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Re. the conductor of today's broadcast:

Opera performances are generally not crowd pullers, but the new opera Enchantia, which premiered in January 2012 at the Prague National Theatre was sold-out in a matter of…

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
        [I]I bought this DVD a few years ago but it won’t play now (something about the region code?). The link is a reissue.
        Hi dover, do you know about dvd player cheat codes? PM me if in doubt!

Comment

• bluestateprommer
          • Nov 2010

Standard thread hijacking / recycling / re-tooling, as is bsp's wont, but for hopefully a semi-good reason, namely that San Francisco Opera is offering their video of The Makropulos Case, for about 38 hours this weekend, via this page:

Jiri Belohlavek conducts, with Karita Mattila as EM. The time window is something like this, if I've got the time zone differences correct:

Start: Sat. 25 July, 6 PM UK time
          End: Mon. 27 July, 7:59 AM UK time

Comment

• bluestateprommer
            • Nov 2010

If anyone here is able to make time for San Francisco Opera's Věc Makropulos this weekend, before its time runs out (intellectual pun perhaps not completely unintended), you may want to spare a few minutes for the 3 'supplemental videos' that are alongside the full-length opera video, because Belohlavek has some comments on each. It's more for the fact of his being there and speaking there, in the knowledge that he's gone now, too soon. The whole presentation of the full streaming presentation also acts as an upbeat for the upcoming Prom next Saturday of Věc Makropulos, with Belohlavek and Mattila returning to the work 6 years on from San Francisco.

Comment

Working...
            X