X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

South Bank Website

The deeply frustrating website of the South Bank concert halls is organised in a manner conceived by a marketing person who appears to have in mind attracting those who know little of classical music. It does not appear possible simply to scan a given month and see what's on across the three halls. Perhaps I've missed some trick here: any suggestions?
  • DublinJimbo
    • Nov 2011

Try this link. Or, to limit the list to Classical music, this one.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

It is indeed dreadfull KB, topped only by the Barbican and RSC, which are even worse.
      Drives me up the wall and on At least one occasion has led to me failing to see an event which I would have attended.
      They are design rather than sales led.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

I like the SBC website.
        You can easily filter events by type if you want
        I also like finding things that I didn't know existed like this which monkeyboy Tipps will inevitably attend

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Thanks Jimbo: it doesn't completely solve the problem created by the design.

For example, Barenboim is giving four recitals of Schubert sonatas. It's not possible to see the rep for all four on one's screen simultaneously - you have to click back and forth. I want to make a choice of which to go to - I don't need to know each time when he died etc...

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            Thanks Jimbo: it doesn't completely solve the problem created by the design.

For example, Barenboim is giving four recitals of Schubert sonatas. It's not possible to see the rep for all four on one's screen simultaneously - you have to click back and forth. I want to make a choice of which to go to - I don't need to know each time when he died etc...
            exactly.
            The Barbican one makes you do the same thing, after having scrolled through week after week.
            and THEN, when you want to go back, it throws you right back to the home page, or at least a much earlier page, so you have to work through the weeks one by one again
            I think it is designed to make you book for the first thing you click on.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              exactly.
              The Barbican one makes you do the same thing, after having scrolled through week after week.
              and THEN, when you want to go back, it throws you right back to the home page, or at least a much earlier page, so you have to work through the weeks one by one again
              I think it is designed to make you book for the first thing you click on.
              Thanks, TS.

Anyone know any other source of details of classical concerts and recitals in London?

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                Thanks, TS.

Anyone know any other source of details of classical concerts and recitals in London?
                Southbank does a good paper programmes of everything classical, don't know if they will send you one , but I guess if you phone up and ask nicely.....#Never managed to get a paper listing for the Barbican.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Southbank does a good paper programmes of everything classical, don't know if they will send you one , but I guess if you phone up and ask nicely.....#Never managed to get a paper listing for the Barbican.
                  Thanks, TS, again: I didn't know if they still do that. There used to be a slim, monthly pocket diary you could subscribe to receive by post..... Technology hasn't improved everything!

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

incidentally, I finally discovered a sensible way to get from The Barbican to Waterloo. No 4 bus goes straight there, ( and back , obviously) and takes about 20 mins, £1.50 on an oyster card.

always assuming you can find out whats on, of course....

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

The Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra website suffers from a related disadvantage - much clicking is required to find what's on. The attraction of the whizz-bangery which a website can offer leads to the absence of a simple list of what's on. The marketing folk have a heavy-handed presence here: a concert dubbed 'Country folksongs' turns out to be the Adagio from Spartacus and Violin Concerto of Khachaturian, plus Dvorak's Seventh Symphony.

Comment

Working...
                      X