• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Verdi Requiem & Stravinsky Requiem Canticles LPO/Jurowski Jan 24 2015

Looking forward to this.

It isn't often you get anything other than the Verdi Requiem on the programme.
    Last edited by Petrushka; 24-01-15, 20:54.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Looking forward to this.

It isn't often you get anything other than the Verdi Requiem on the programme.
    And not often you get the Requiem Canticles on a programme...

But it was in my very first Prom, 1971, visited on a coach from school, tho' I think the main attraction was probably Beethoven 9

I didn't hear the RCs again for years, but they were firmly lodged in my memory!
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Looking forward to this. ... It isn't often you get anything other than the Verdi Requiem on the programme.
      Well I think it might work well as a fill-up to tonight's main work.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Well I think it might work well as a fill-up to tonight's main work.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Simon B
          • Dec 2010

All the qualities to be expected from the Jurowski/LPO combination were in evidence as heard in the hall.

Interesting programming, well rehearsed, crisp, incisive, a bit cold at times but somehow more than averagely effective despite it.

Choirs superb I thought, and valve trombones, cimbasso and valveless/herald offstage trumpets in the Verdi make so much more impact and allow all the detail in the writing through.

I really tried with the Stravinsky (repeated listenings to what I could find on YouTube) but I'm still none the wiser apart from a vague sense of stylised ritual evocation type thingy I'm afraid. <Ignoramus Smiley Here>

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon B View Post
            All the qualities to be expected from the Jurowski/LPO combination were in evidence as heard in the hall.

Interesting programming, well rehearsed, crisp, incisive, a bit cold at times but somehow more than averagely effective despite it.

Choirs superb I thought, and valve trombones, cimbasso and valveless/herald offstage trumpets in the Verdi make so much more impact and allow all the detail in the writing through.

I really tried with the Stravinsky (repeated listenings to what I could find on YouTube) but I'm still none the wiser apart from a vague sense of stylised ritual evocation type thingy I'm afraid. <Ignoramus Smiley Here>
            Thanks for the report from the hall, SimonB. I think that 'stylised ritual evocation' is just what Stravinsky was after in his Requiem Canticles.

Your impression of 'a bit cold at times' fits in with my own feeling on the Verdi. As heard on the radio (via Freeview) the soloists sounded somewhat backwardly placed which didn't help matters but this appeared to improve after the Lachrymosa. I did wonder if a microphone wasn't working. Other than that the sound was first rate.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Simon B
              • Dec 2010

The soloists were placed at the back of the stage, just in front of the choir stalls, so the microphones gave a faithful impression.

Jane Irwin did, in my largely clueless about the technicalities of singing view, a particularly attention holding job as a last minute substitute soprano.

Comment

Working...
              X