X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

LSO/Rattle Jan 15 2015 A Ten Star Evening

Any other boarders manage to get into last night's terrific LSO/Rattle concert?

What is it about Sir Simon that he can turn a concert into an event? He has always had brilliant programme building skills but time and again he manages to pull off something quite special and so it was last night.

First up was the Webern 6 Pieces for Orchestra. I don't think that British audiences have ever really taken to Webern as this fine performance was obliterated by a barrage of coughing such as I've rarely heard. Hall managements, like it or not, are going to have to grapple with this issue, preferably with announcements from the stage, if a small section of the audience isn't going to ruin concerts for those wishing to listen. As it was the crystalline beauty of these miniatures performed by a huge orchestra came across vividly in the hall and the funeral march packed a thrilling punch. I would have thought that with the large number of players at Rattle's disposal for the evening he might have opted for the original orchestration which uses a bigger orchestra still but we had the 1928 revision as we mostly do nowadays.

Barbara Hannigan joined the LSO for the Three Fragments from Wozzeck by Berg. Voices are a real problem in the Barbican (at least from my usual seat) as they just get lost in the orchestral tumult and reading the text in the Barbican gloom proved impossible. However, Hannigan's finest hour (well, 20 minutes or so) was still to come.

After the interval, Barbara Hannigan again joined the LSO for Ligeti's Mysteries of the Macabre and it was an astonishing tour de force from her. She came on stage, to considerable laughter dressed as a young girl in pigtails and short skirt and proceeded to give one of the most incredible performances I've ever seen in the concert hall. Contemporary classical music has rarely received such cheering as this one had! Rattle and Hannigan were both quite simply superb. Part singing, part dancing and part comedy routine it had to be seen to be believed and fully deserved the long ovation.

Top that, we all must have been thinking. And top it they did in a thrilling Rite of Spring by Stravinsky a great end to a great evening.

If the rumours swirling around about Rattle being the next LSO chief are true and this is the standard that they can come up with then we are going to be in for a real treat!

The concert was televised live throughout much of Europe by Arte (BBC where are you?) and presumably will be on DVD at some point. Just hope they can eradicate the coughing in the Webern.

This wasn't a concert, this was an event and a great start to my concert going in 2015.
    Last edited by Petrushka; 16-01-15, 20:33. Reason: still finding more typos
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for the excellent review Pet.
    I was there, first row of the stalls, extreme right. Actually, it was a very cheap restricted view ticket that I bought a year ago, rather on the spur of the moment.

I think your review captures the mood of the evening and the quality of the music particularly well. The Webern was exceptional, and this live performance was a wonderful demonstration of the effect and accessibility of the music. Simply stunning power and beauty.
    As for the coughers...in such a short work......

I also agree about the Berg, to an extent. Knowing (or being able to read) the text is pretty important really, so any failing I put down to my own lack of preparation. Made me want to listen much further, so that was job done, to an extent.

The Ligeti was indeed a concert hall peformance of a very rare kind. It should be filmed and sent to anybody, anywhere who is trying to sell seats for contemporary music, or indeed produce and market classical music of any kind. From my lowly perch, some of the dramatic effect was lost on me, but suffice to say, I have never seen a classical music audience react before, during and after a performance in such a way. It absolutely brought the house down. Hannigan sang quite unbelievably well, with extraordinary skill and an amazing range of tone and styles, and her movement was impressive. She is almost annoyingly multi talented !! Ligeti's vision of the music was realised in stunning style. If this becomes available on video, do not miss it ON ANY ACCOUNT !!!

The Stravinsky I don't have a great deal to add, other than I realised from where I was sitting what a lot of work the double basses get through! I thought the performance was big on power and reasonably quick paced and none the worse for that. I did wonder about some of the tone in the woodwind early on, perhaps that was my location, or Rattle asking for a somewhat raw sound? I don't want to carp. This was life changing music performed the way it deserves to be.

As ever, SO glad I went. I always get something out of a night of music, but this was special. Music from 40 and 100 years ago showing the way forward.
    Magic.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Two excellent reviews thank you .......it makes one hope Sir Simon comes home.....

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Yes, my thanks for these infectiously enthusiastic reviews - Pet is quite right; when Rattle is on form, the concert becomes a real event.

Barbara Hannigan is well experienced in the Ligeti - the only person I know who can conduct and perform the solo role at the same time! In spite of my admiration for Rattle, if he should choose to emulate her example, I do hope he avoids the pigtails and short skirt. Or, for that matter, the pvc -

"Mysteries of the Macabre" (György Ligeti)Avanti! Chamber OrchestraSoprano & Direction, Barbara HanniganFestival "Présences 2011" (Directeur artistique, René...
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          First up was the Webern 6 Pieces for Orchestra. I don't think that British audiences have ever really taken to Webern as this fine performance was obliterated by a barrage of coughing such as I've rarely heard. Hall managements, like it or not, are going to have to grapple with this issue, preferably with announcements from the stage, if a small section of the audience isn't going to ruin concerts for those wishing to listen.
          Extraordinary. Rattle himself is not above intervening from the podium as we know, I've seen/heard him challenge the coughers in Cardiff, but with pieces like these what do you do? Stop, turn to the audience and say "Shall we try that again, without the coughing?"

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Many thanks for the reviews Petrushka & teamsaint

Seems like I missed a great night.

Comment

• Simon B
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              ! In spite of my admiration for Rattle, if he should choose to emulate her example, I do hope he avoids the pigtails and short skirt. [/url]
              He did make a prominent contribution to the... libretto... Turns to audience... And bellows... "ArrrrrrrrggggggGGGGHHHH! I Can't STAND IT!!!! Prime Minister FARAGE?!?!?!?" Got the biggest laugh of them all I think.

Hopefully I'll not get FF'd for politics as it's just a quote .

On a personal note, this concert was proof of the power of music - and other cliches. The concert in general, and Ms Hannigan's turn as an S&M overgrown schoolgirl in particular (not due to that specifically!) gave me my first moments of mental uplift from weeks of worry and sadness about my poor old dad who's only just out of hospital after 17 days and still it seems in a deep black pit of distress that I can do nothing to alleviate. For that, my thanks to the LSO, soloist and conductor.

It's also coaxed me from a self-imposed silence on these boards. Quite a concert, and it's heartening that the other boardees who went along seem to have been similarly grabbed by it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Simon B View Post
                He did make a prominent contribution to the... libretto... Turns to audience... And bellows... "ArrrrrrrrggggggGGGGHHHH! I Can't STAND IT!!!! Prime Minister FARAGE?!?!?!?" Got the biggest laugh of them all I think.

Good to see you back, Simon B - and so glad you got so much from this concert. My very best wishes for your father's rapid return to good health and spirits.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  Extraordinary. Rattle himself is not above intervening from the podium as we know, I've seen/heard him challenge the coughers in Cardiff, but with pieces like these what do you do? Stop, turn to the audience and say "Shall we try that again, without the coughing?"
                  As it was being shown live throughout Europe (not here, natch) he probably couldn't have done that. He'd have been right though.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Review (and picture) here: http://www.theartsdesk.com/classical...-barbican-hall

A bit of a po-faced review if truth be told. Doesn't really capture the spirit of the evening and seems to have been written by a seen-it-all-before jaded reviewer.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Super reviews guys,thanks.
                      Who needs the arts desk ?

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                        Super reviews guys,thanks.
                        Who needs the arts desk ?
                        Quite.

All that garrulous inconsequentiality ....

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Simon B View Post

Hopefully I'll not get FF'd for politics as it's just a quote .

On a personal note, this concert was proof of the power of music - and other cliches. The concert in general, and Ms Hannigan's turn as an S&M overgrown schoolgirl in particular (not due to that specifically!) gave me my first moments of mental uplift from weeks of worry and sadness about my poor old dad who's only just out of hospital after 17 days and still it seems in a deep black pit of distress that I can do nothing to alleviate. For that, my thanks to the LSO, soloist and conductor.

It's also coaxed me from a self-imposed silence on these boards. Quite a concert, and it's heartening that the other boardees who went along seem to have been similarly grabbed by it.
                          I don't quote Churchill much, but that famous sufferer of the Black Dog said "When you're going through Hell, keep going"... hang in there Simon, Be Strong for both of you... it might get better... it can ​get better... or at least it may - resolve. Give it time, and, on your own part. ... mindfulness.

Nec Spe Nec Metu - "Neither Hope Nor Fear"...
                          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 17-01-15, 02:50.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Sounds like a great concert" |I do wish that audience members would have a duty of care about their coughing habits. It would really make a difference and be more polite for those that want to hear the music properly, without interference!
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• aeolium
                              • Nov 2010

Thanks too from me for the reviews. What a pity R3 were not there to broadcast the concert. I couldn't get to it, but I enjoyed the performance of Schumann's Das Paradies und die Peri with Rattle and the LSO that was broadcast on Sunday; it illuminated a work that has perhaps suffered from undue neglect. These two concerts seem to bode well for the Rattle/LSO collaboration if he is indeed to take over from Gergiev.

Comment

Working...
                              X