• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Simon Bolívar Symphony Orchestra, RFH & Philharmonie de Paris, January 2015

A belated cheer or three for the terrific concert by the above which I attended on Friday 9th by the grown-up Venezuelans. No multi-coloured jackets these days, although unlike the previous evening we had a Latin American vibe in the first-half and the encore. (The previous evening had been Beethoven 5 and 'Ring' orchestral music - receiving some varying reviews).

On Friday, the first piece was a Cuban triptych by one Julian Orbón, his Tres versiones sinfónicas: a 50s piece which sounded like the product of a meeting between Copland and Bartok in a Mexican restaurant. Some good sounds, and a percussion-led rhythmic finale. The latter was picked up in the encore, don't know what it was, but extra bods and percussion came on for the purpose.

But the unforgettable part was Mahler's 5th - one of the best performances I've heard.

Perhaps the main thing that struck me was how much expression (thanks to dynamics, phrasing and sheer great playing) was achieved with very little messing around with the pulse - it was very sound structurally, but delivered sonically in a big way…

And the other specific thing to strike me was the absolutely superlative horn solo in the third movement. I've heard a few live and on record (Nick Busch for Barbirolli and Tennstedt; the prinicpals of the Concertgebouw and VPO under Haitink and Bernstein respectively). But - and I don't think it was the emotion of the moment - Daniel Graterol of this orchestra blew them away. Faultless, bravura, tender.... A name to watch. Brilliant It must be said that I was perched in a box just above the back desks of first violins, which was THE ideal place to get the full sound from all the horns, and the soloist in particular (who stood throughout the movement).

(The concerts are broadcast on Classic FM later this week: the Beethoven/Wagner on Wednesday at 8pm, the Mahler concert on Thursday evening. Definitely going to record. It will be interesting to see if the horn solo comes across as blazingly successfully)

EDIT: there's an official pic on the orchestra's website of Daniel at work, from the concert itself:

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• edashtav
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    A belated cheer or three for the terrific concert by the above which I attended on Friday 9th by the grown-up Venezuelans. No multi-coloured jackets these days, although unlike the previous evening we had a Latin American vibe in the first-half and the encore. (The previous evening had been Beethoven 5 and 'Ring' orchestral music - receiving some varying reviews).

On Friday, the first piece was a Cuban triptych by one Julian Orbón, his Tres versiones sinfónicas: a 50s piece which sounded like the product of a meeting between Copland and Bartok in a Mexican restaurant. Some good sounds, and a percussion-led rhythmic finale. The latter was picked up in the encore, don't know what it was, but extra bods and percussion came on for the purpose.

But the unforgettable part was Mahler's 5th - one of the best performances I've heard.

Perhaps the main thing that struck me was how much expression (thanks to dynamics, phrasing and sheer great playing) was achieved with very little messing around with the pulse - it was very sound structurally, but delivered sonically in a big way…

And the other specific thing to strike me was the absolutely superlative horn solo in the third movement. I've heard a few live and on record (Nick Busch for Barbirolli and Tennstedt; the prinicpals of the Concertgebouw and VPO under Haitink and Bernstein respectively). But - and I don't think it was the emotion of the moment - Daniel Graterol of this orchestra blew them away. Faultless, bravura, tender.... A name to watch. Brilliant It must be said that I was perched in a box just above the back desks of first violins, which was THE ideal place to get the full sound from all the horns, and the soloist in particular (who stood throughout the movement).

(The concerts are broadcast on Classic FM later this week: the Beethoven/Wagner on Wednesday at 8pm, the Mahler concert on Thursday evening. Definitely going to record. It will be interesting to see if the horn solo comes across as blazingly successfully)
    A most helpful "heads up", Cali , I hope to follow up on Classic FM ( must "tune" my tuner!)
    Last edited by edashtav; 13-01-15, 11:03. Reason: I thought I'd clarify the end of the quote, Ed, hope you don't mind ;)

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Lovely atmospheric review, Cals, a splendid read. Thanks for that, and the CFM Heads up.

Where is that mexican restaurant, BTW? Sounds a great place for a bite. ....no Muzak there.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Oldcrofter
        • Dec 2010

Excellent review, Cal - enthusiastic, detailed and succinct - but why the "Horror" smiley ? Do Classic FM wreck concerts by intrusive ads or poor quality recordings ? Or some other reason why you fear the worst ?

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

in that photo is there a camera positioned between a cellist and violinist ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oldcrofter View Post
            Excellent review, Cal - enthusiastic, detailed and succinct - but why the "Horror" smiley ? Do Classic FM wreck concerts by intrusive ads or poor quality recordings ? Or some other reason why you fear the worst ?
            Thanks - the was prompted simply by the need to utter - nay recommend - that very name on the R3 Forum - a touch of irony, perhaps. Classic FM have stolen a march on R3 by 'signing up' this orchestra, some years back - I recall earlier South Bank residencies were also on Classic FM, leading to the latter having to broadcast complete performances of e.g. Bartok 'Concerto for Orchestra' etc, which one might have thought more up R3's avenida...

And yes mercs, there were video cameras at various points, one just below us too - manned by a Venezuelan-looking youth: I think that all concerts are recorded by the Sistema operation; all the ones I've been to have been, at any rate.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Tim Ashley in the Guardian was slightly less enthusiastic, mainly because of the "deployment of a vast, youth orchestra-sized body of strings" which he felt in a "thick-ish orchestral sound".

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                Tim Ashley in the Guardian was slightly less enthusiastic, mainly because of the "deployment of a vast, youth orchestra-sized body of strings" which he felt in a "thick-ish orchestral sound".

Yes I read that and another review which was also rather lukewarm. All I can say is that from the perch above the orchestra in the bottom right-hand box on the left-hand wall of the RFH, above the back of the violins, the sound was transparent as well as powerful, and I had none of the 'too thick, too loud, too unsubtle' problems various reviewers have had, presumably from stalls seats.

Maybe I got lucky - I don't usually go for the boxes but for special occasions, those chairs are very comfortable and the sound and view are exceptional!
                Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 13-01-15, 15:29. Reason: blooper correction

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Excellent stuff Rumpole - can I add my thanks....

Comment

• Oldcrofter
                    • Dec 2010

Sometimes I don't get irony, Cali, which is ironic, I suppose.
                    But well done for getting the stress right on Bolívar, Orbón, and sinfónicas - the "bonk" as my old Spanish teacher Tom Long used to call it. Couldn't possibly call it that nowadays, though ! Any amount of trouble in store there.

(Just missed the bonk on Simón, Cali )

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oldcrofter View Post
                      (Just missed the bonk on Simón, Cali )
                      And Señor Orbón should be Julián, I think, unlike the unbonked version in my OP.

Another fault perhaps: when I said:

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      the encore, don't know what it was
                      well, one source I have read suggests that the encore was in fact a repeat of the third part of Julián's work from the first half

If that's true, then either it was even more unmemorable that I ... ahem... remember, or I'm going doo-lally to the strains of Alzheimer's First...

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the same piece. Classic FM on Thursday evening will tell, presumably.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

A quick bump for those that wish to hear the Mahler 5 performance: the concert starts at 8pm on ... Classic FM.

Comment

• Prommer
                          • Dec 2010

Is it possible to 'listen again' to things on Classic FM? I cannot find this one...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

In just under an hour, the orchestra's performance of the same programme in the new Philharmonie de Paris is streaming live on Medici TV (and will presumably be available as a video thereafter):

A rare and extensive selection of concerts, operas, ballets, documentaries and master classes. Exclusive events streamed live on medici.tv, available afterwards on replay.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Late starting.
                              Typical.
                              Is french air traffic control striking or something?
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                              X