X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ventilhorn
    • Sep 2024

Raymond cohen r.i.p

Raymond Cohen, who has died aged 91 was a much loved and respected violinist, both as Soloist and Orchestra leader. He was a shining example to all British musicians.

Raymond Cohen, who has died aged 91, was a prewar violin prodigy who went on to enjoy distinction among musicians for his connection to the world of music-making in northern towns and cities.

R.I.P
  • Freddie Campbell

...One can easily take there early pioneers of excellence for granted- but they achieved much & laid a
    safe foundation upon which others continue to build here...Robert's excellence as a Cellist is without question...

Comment

• Chris Newman
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Raymond Cohen was the player of the first live violin concerto I heard when I was 15: the Tchaikovsky, with Anatole Fistoulari and the Philharmonia in the early 60s at a Victor Hochhauser Tchaikovsky Night at the Albert Hall. Some 15 years later I often saw him as guest leader of the New Philharmonia and the BBCSO. He was an excellent soloist and with the two orchestras mentioned (along with Hugh Bean) was a favourite as leader of the orchestras mentioned and of the Promenaders.

Talking of Robert Cohen, I have a viola friend in another orchestra named Cohen whose initial is R. Once the orchestra was on tour with Robert C when after the concert at a nearby venue my friend received a knock at his hotel door. A porter proffered a bottle of Champagne from a lady admirer adressed to Mr R. Cohen. He was a little puzzled but a card invited him to meet the lady at the bar in a yellow dress. A bachelor, he gallantly went at the alloted time WITH the bottle. There was only one single lady in a yellow dress and he introduced himself. Oh dear! He was the wrong Cohen. He made amends, checked with the hotel staff and phoned Robert's room. They met and he and RC became good friends.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Wonderful story Chris! I remember Raymond Cohen when he led the RPO in the 50s and 60s. A fine violinist with a remarkably long career. RIP

Comment

• Freddie Campbell

...His family Piano Trio also was meritous...

Comment

• amateur51

Wonderful story, Chris!

Salymap has proven highly resistant to committing her musical memories to paper so perhaps you & salymap should consider doing 'An Evening With ...' based on your outstanding reminiscences, sponsored by a champagne house to get you both in the mood.

I'll be first in the queue for a ticket if you do!

Comment

Working...
            X