X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

BBCSSO new season

The BBC SSO's new season has been announced, & it does look rather exciting, with several themes: '1911', with concerts featuring music written in that year, including Debusy's Martyrdom of St Sebastien Symphonic fragments, highlights from Der Rosenkavalier, Petrushka, & a concert performance of Bluebeard's Castle; Prokofiev piano concertos; music for the cello; and the start of a project to perform the complete Vaughan Williams symphonies (which, after reading Mario's VW thread, I think I'll try)

There's also some Butterworth, including 6 songs from A Shropshire lad in one of the post-concert recitals, and some Frank Bridge.
  • Curalach

I am delighted to see that the season starts with the first Scottish performance of MacMillan's St John Passion.
    With the recent announcements from the RSNO and the SCO we are going to have an embarrassment of riches.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

The Macmillan will be perfromed by the same choirs that gave the premiere - The Philharmonic Choir & the BBC Singers.

I had a look at the RSNO programme & found nothing to excite or interest me. I've not gone through the SCO prog. yet.

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        The Macmillan will be perfromed by the same choirs that gave the premiere - The Philharmonic Choir & the BBC Singers.
        It is actually the London Symphony Chorus and the BBC Singers.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
          I am delighted to see that the season starts with the first Scottish performance of MacMillan's St John Passion.
          With the recent announcements from the RSNO and the SCO we are going to have an embarrassment of riches.
          Ah well, every silver lining has its attendant cloud, I suppose.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
            It is actually the London Symphony Chorus and the BBC Singers.
            oops yes - I'd actually looked at the programme minutes before I wrote the post - so no idea why I wrote 'Philharmonic choir'

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
              • Nov 2010

Looks a bit of a mixed bag, on the minus side some 'same old' programmes and on the plus side, nice to see the other Prokofiev Piano Concertos (nos 2, 4 & 5) being performed for a change, good to see Britten's Cello Symphony included and a plan to perform all the RVW symphonies is always welcome, and no Mahler an added bonus! I wish I lived in that neck of the woods, I'd be tempted to attend a couple of concerts.

Comment

Working...
              X