X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alf-Prufrock
    • Sep 2024

Yuja Wang

I tuned in (on the internet) to France-Musique earlier this evening and noticed that they dubbed Yuja Wang the most rapid pianist in the world. Her Flight of the Bumble-Bee is almost incredible :

Watch another great Yuja Wang concert here: https://bit.ly/4diBioBSubscribe to our channel for more videos http://ow.ly/ugONZ Yuja Wang plays Cziffra's arran...

I idly wondered if she could actually do Chopin's Minute Waltz in a minute. Not that it was likely to be musical if she did.

I have her performance of Prokofiev's 3rd Piano Concerto on DVD, and that is astounding too - and musical. Are we in for a further ratcheting-up of technical expertise in the 21st century, I wonder.
  • Mark Sealey
    • Mar 2007

She's also heavy: she broke a string at the end of last year!

Though the end of that clip (thanks, Alf!) is as delicate as can… bee.
    --
    Mark

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alf-Prufrock View Post
      . . . Are we in for a further ratcheting-up of technical expertise in the 21st century, I wonder.
      The answer is probably yes. But as has been pointed out on this board before the late Ronald Smith believed, quite rightly IMO, that techniques are needed, not simply technique. Thanks for posting the clip!
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I've just watched this clip. Wow - it was incredible. Which arrangement was this?

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Impressive more for its sporting than artistic prowess- interesting to see the lukewarm reviews of her Rachmaninov especially as DG pushed the boat out and got Abbado to conduct.

Comment

• geofflikesmusic

has anyone bought a ticket to see her perform in the Southbank latest this year?

Comment

Working...
            X