X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I have CDs of Uchida and Brendel playing those last three Schubert Sonatas and can't chose between them. They are really music to treasure, especially the last one with Brendel IMO.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      I have CDs of Uchida and Brendel playing those last three Schubert Sonatas and can't chose between them. They are really music to treasure, especially the last one with Brendel IMO.
      I agree salymap.

I've heard them both play the last sonata in concert and preferred Brendel by a long chalk but Dame Mitsuko did not have [Sir] Alfred's experience when I heard her. She's in her eartly 60s now so maybe if she brings it back to the concert hall, I'll listen again and be more sympathetic. Who knows?

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        . . . And Rachmaninov said that he hadn't realised that Schubert had written any piano sonatas ...
        Again, I hope I've got that right; but wasn't S. Richter credited with popularizing Schubert, and not only in Russia. If true than perhaps it isn't so surprising to hear that Rachmaninov was unaware of Schubert piano sonatas.
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• cping

Sad to hear that THAT masterclass is still going the rounds... and unfair to its participants too. There should be no objection to participants doing (including the Master) agreeing to do a TV programme but to drag it up time and again when everyone has moved on seems to give it greater weight than a learning session deserves.

Comment

• cping

There is some more of PL's pre Cheetham's life

Amateur is quite right about the music libraries, but more important was mum. Like many talented working class kids Paul seems to have had some school support from a poorly financed school in it's music department and then steered his own career. The luck was finding patrons (teachers) at Cheethams and then later.

Can he still speak scouse?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cping View Post
              There is some more of PL's pre Cheetham's life
              Thanks for the link, cping. It goes some way to explaining what I was wondering about - how in the standard of his playing, his technique, he started late and caught up with the prodigies: he had the musical gift and caught up very quickly. Not quickly enough to get to Chethams at 12 - he appears to have started piano lessons at 10 - but he did by 14 ("in no time at all, he was tackling virtuoso stuff such as Balakirev's Islamey and Liszt's Mephisto Waltz" ). And then Brendel.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cping View Post

Can he still speak scouse?
                He must have spoken scouse once, but now it seems to have disappeared almost entirely. Even Simon Rattle has more of it, another Liverpool man though from a much more privileged background, and privately educated.

Comment

Working...
                X