X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    Can you see the hairs in the violinists nose, too? Equally important, I would have thought, to appreciation of the music.

It's comments like the one quoted that make me think that HD is, like 3D, a gimmick thought up to persuade gullible people that the television thet've got, that works perfectly well, needs replacing. Unless you have perfect vision, or sit so close to the screen that you must be nearly blind, it would seem to be completely unneccessary.
    Well, I suppose one could say the same about many things that make life better but are unnecessary- quality Hi-Fi systems, Hi Def Radio 3, fine wine rather than supermarket plonk, or electric light rather then candles.

I brought a new TV a few years ago, because my old one DID need replacing, and the new set was HD ready. When I finally decided to take the plunge with Sky, I thought I may as well go for the HD option, and I'll be honest, I wasn't sure whether I would really see any difference. Well -sitting a normal distance from the screen- I can, and ,for me, it really adds to the enjoyment. The picture is wonderfully clear and natural looking- and the film about Strads and Guarneries last night was enhanced by it, since one could see every detail of the instruments. I think until you've seen the difference, you won't be convinced. I have, and I am.

You might choose to call it a gimmick, I prefer to call it progress.
    Last edited by Mr Pee; 09-04-11, 15:43.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

"iimss"

?

Hmph - the software seems to prefer it in lower case
      Last edited by Flosshilde; 09-04-11, 15:54. Reason: software substituted lower case for upper case

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
        You might choose to call it a gimmick, I prefer to call it progress.
        Ah progress ... "Progress might have been alright once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          "iimss"
          If I may say so....

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            If I may say so....
            Well, I'm not going to stop you

Comment

• LHC
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Well, Mr Pee the problem is that Sky charges a relative fortune compared to BBC and does not produce any 'new' material, unlike the BBC.
              Not true and badly researched

Sky are starting to produce original material, for example the live broadcasts of La Boheme and Lucrezia Borgia from ENO and L'elisir d'amore from Glyndeborne were all produced by Sky. I think the last live broadcast of an opera on the BBC was Die Walkure from Covent Garden several years ago, and that was aborted after Act 1 because Terfel had cancelled.

Sky have also produced several programmes from the Darbar Festival for the last few years. Although not my cup of tea, it is original programming.

And at least Sky show the complete programmes they buy in rather than editing them to fit a pre-determined time slot as the BBC do. For example last year's BPO concert from the Sheldonian had the Meistersinger overture cut by the BBC. Similarly, the documentary on Rattle's and the BPO's tour of the far east had 35 minutes cut out of it to fit into the Imagine slot, including a wholly unneccessary introduction.

Having said that, I am pleased to have any classical programming on the BBC or Sky.

However, it is clear that your objection to sky is based on your political antipathy to Murdoch rather than anything else, so arguments about its programming are a bit pointless.
              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Mr Pee
                • Nov 2010

And at least Sky show the complete programmes they buy in rather than editing them to fit a pre-determined time slot as the BBC do. For example last year's BPO concert from the Sheldonian had the Meistersinger overture cut by the BBC. Similarly, the documentary on Rattle's and the BPO's tour of the far east had 35 minutes cut out of it to fit into the Imagine slot, including a wholly unneccessary introduction.
                Indeed- the new Tony Palmer bio-doc about Gustav Holst, which is being shown on BBC4 over Easter and is the subject of another thread, has a run time of 135 minutes on the BBC. Yet it's on at my local independent cinema next week, where it has a run time of 150 minutes.

However, it is clear that your objection to sky is based on your political antipathy to Murdoch rather than anything else, so arguments about its programming are a bit pointless.
                Quite right. I don't know why I've been wasting my time.
                Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                  Bravo!

And your point is .....?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Indeed- the new Tony Palmer bio-doc about Gustav Holst, which is being shown on BBC4 over Easter and is the subject of another thread, has a run time of 135 minutes on the BBC. Yet it's on at my local independent cinema next week, where it has a run time of 150 minutes.
                    Is that allowing for the adverts etc before? When I got to see a film at my local independent cinema I arrive about 15 minutes after the advertised start time to avoid the repetitive & tedious adverts,

Comment

• Keraulophone
                      • Nov 2010

Sky watching

I am thoroughly enjoying my first year of Sky Arts 2, which I have tried to justify by subscribing to Sky's combined HD, Broadband & 'phone package. This does give reasonably good value, although one has to go into the confessional re Murdoch. My original excuse was to watch Test cricket (eg the Ashes), but having viewed the available HD content, I now have a myriad of new excuses (Al Jazeera news anyone?), as have my children.

After one year's subscription it's possible to cancel, but keep all the equipment (worth around £200 I suppose) and watch Freesat programming for nothing.

The only thing I don't like is the dish on the rear wall, and I'm considering getting a more discrete one placed higher up behind a chimney stack. (Sky installers offer only a minimal free service, ie they don't like heights.)

Sure, no one likes the extra expense, but the days of Glyndebourne on ITV (Southern) and The Ring on BBC2 unfortunately seem to be long gone, though BBC4 gets full marks for its efforts.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

And your point is .....?
                        Are you a vegetarian, Amateur?

I only ask because, like you, veggies deny themselves enormous amounts of pleasure due to some sort of misguided sense of moral superiority.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Are you a vegetarian, Amateur?

I only ask because, like you, veggies deny themselves enormous amounts of pleasure due to some sort of misguided sense of moral superiority.
                          Mr Pee, if you are feeling morally inferior, or superior, that's your problem.

You deal with it

Comment

• PaulT
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                            To stick up for the BBC for a moment, when they start broadcasting the Masters tomorrow I will watch it there in preference to Sky. At least there are no annoying adverts.
                            I agree with you Steve and comparing the two last night perhaps the BBC's expert analysis of this event is better than Sky's. But unfortunately the BBC did not broadcast the first two days live at all.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                              • Nov 2010

Well the performance of the Schumann Piano Concerto with Chailly, Argerich and The Leipzig Gewandhaus that I've just watched was worth this month's subscription on its own. What a remarkable performance.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• RobertLeDiable

For many sports, certainly tennis, it's possible to find free internet feeds, often of perfectly adequate quality. I would watch them than give a penny piece to Murdoch. He, his family and his evil empire, as becomes more apparent by the day, are a threat to all we hold dear.

Comment

Working...
                                X