Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    The Barenboim masterclasses in question are presumably those available on DVD from Amazon, available to purchase for far less than a monthly bung in Rupe's billfold. :
    a51, there's loads more. some mentioned above. I've recently watched Segovia playing in the Alhambra, Barenboim actually playing the Beethoven sonatas, and lots more besides. There were some terrific Brandenburgs the other day.

Actually I don't have a lot of choice. I live in an area where terrestrial reception was appalling even when it existed. It's now been switched off. I can't get Freeview. Without a satellite dish I would not have TV. I'm quite happy to pay a premium for choice and HD.

Meanwhile BBC 4 brought you the world premiere of Turnage's Anna Nicole

Comment

• LHC
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
      I'm a Vigin media cable customer, and they only supply the channel in standard definition. I have read that they will eventually take the HD feed, but don't know the timescale.

The only negative I can think of is the number of repeats. However that does mean that if you miss something, it will appear again before too long.

BBC 1 shows F1 in HD, but if your area hasn't 'gone' HD that won't help.
      I see Virgin Media have just announced that the HD versions of Sky Arts 1 and 2 will be available on Virgin from 26 April.

Excellent news for us Virgin customers
      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

Shai Wosner was also nurtured by BBC as one of Radio 3's New Generation Artists. Remind me of the artists that Sky has nurtured?

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
          Oh right.

I watched the informative video

Steve Coogan
          Sandi Toksvig
          Dame Judi Dench
          Juliet Stevenson
          Lesley Garrett
          Lord Melvyn Bragg
          Jamie Cullum
          James Rhodes ....

that sort of nurturing ...?

I wonder if they'll play safe & follow the ACE-funded groups or will they fall foul of the 'picking up the cuts' debate?
          Last edited by Guest; 07-04-11, 23:24. Reason: How could I forget Jamie Cullum - Parky'd never forgive me :laugh:

Comment

• Freddie Campbell

...Well I opted for Sky as it included Broadband & TV quite reasonably.Have not been disappointed!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Freddie Campbell View Post
              ...Well I opted for Sky as it included Broadband & TV quite reasonably.Have not been disappointed!
              "Just for a handful of silver he left us ...."

Comment

• Mr Pee
                • Nov 2010

Oh right.

I watched the informative video

Steve Coogan
                Sandi Toksvig
                Dame Judi Dench
                Juliet Stevenson
                Lesley Garrett
                Lord Melvyn Bragg
                Jamie Cullum
                James Rhodes ....

that sort of nurturing ...?

I wonder if they'll play safe & follow the ACE-funded groups or will they fall foul of the 'picking up the cuts' debate?
                I also watched the video:-

"Sky Arts is the place to find the most interesting and innovative arts programming" - From the Grauniad, not normally the most pro-Murdoch rag.

"One of the most innovative of arts supporters is Sky arts"- The Stage

Did you also see the coverage of the Hay-on -Wye book festival, Gilbert and George, the Dublin Theatre Festival, the clips of Lucrezia Borgia Live from ENO, Live theatre from Sky Arts Playhouse, and the fact that Sky took over the South Bank Show Awards when ITV could no longer be bothered with them?
                Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

My point is that Sky is not nurturing new talent but rather backing established artists. It's backing those who have already 'won', there doesn't seem to be much risk involved, it is scarcely innovative.

It's in it for the publicity, pure & simple (rarely pure and never simple, I know)

That's all

I trust that this series of postings will be regarded as debate rather than being labelled as squabbling, a tactic used by parents down the ages to stifle their young

Comment

• Stunsworth
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                    I see Virgin Media have just announced that the HD versions of Sky Arts 1 and 2 will be available on Virgin from 26 April.

Excellent news for us Virgin customers
                    Yippee!!!
                    Steve

Comment

• Panjandrum

It must be terribly hard for those with such high moral standards to build up a classical music collection: all that hunting around for labels with a "Fairtrade" sticker on them.

Must rule practically all the majors (not to say the independents) out of court. Still they can always listen to an endless loop of La Valse, Pomp & Circumstance No 1 etc ad nauseum, ad infinitum on Radio 3 I suppose.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                        It must be terribly hard for those with such high moral standards to build up a classical music collection: all that hunting around for labels with a "Fairtrade" sticker on them.

Must rule practically all the majors (not to say the independents) out of court. Still they can always listen to an endless loop of La Valse, Pomp & Circumstance No 1 etc ad nauseum, ad infinitum on Radio 3 I suppose.

Actors including Sir Patrick Stewart and Maxine Peake hand over a petition at Downing Street protesting against cuts in arts funding.
                        Last edited by Mr Pee; 08-04-11, 19:12.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• PaulT
                          • Nov 2010

I much appreciate all your positive comments here about Sky Arts and have decided to go for it. The sports coverage too seems to be excellent - live coverage of the whole of the US Golf Masters I see with a slew of documentaries about the history of this event whereas all the BBC can now manage is to tap in for the last two days. As for broadcasting documentaries that are commercially available as DVDs, good for them. They have presumably paid the neccessary license fees and I would far rather watch these on TV than buy the DVDs and then have them gathering shelf dust after a single viewing.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PaulT View Post
                            ...whereas all the BBC can now manage is to tap in for the last two days
                            To stick up for the BBC for a moment, when they start broadcasting the Masters tomorrow I will watch it there in preference to Sky. At least there are no annoying adverts.
                            Steve

Comment

• Mr Pee
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                              To stick up for the BBC for a moment, when they start broadcasting the Masters tomorrow I will watch it there in preference to Sky. At least there are no annoying adverts.
                              I'm not sure about the sports coverage, but certainly Sky Arts is free of adverts. Earlier this evening I watched a fascinating film on Sky Arts 2 called "In Search of the Messiah", which was about Stradivarius and Guarneri string instruments and the way in which their rising value, fuelled by speculators and collectors, is making it almost impossible for musicians to actually own them. It featured performances and interviews from, among others, Heinrich Schiff, James Ehnes, Stephen Isserlis, Ruth Palmer, Leif Ove Andsnes, Natalie Klien, and Joshua Bell. It ran for 50 minutes without a single advert break. That's why Sky is worth paying for.

And even if there are adverts in a particular programme, with Sky+ you can pause the live TV for 3 or 4 minutes at that point, and then simply fast forward though them, or press pause for 10 minutes or so at the start of a programme, and then just whizz through the adverts as they appear. Since getting Sky I've had to sit through fewer adverts than ever.

( Not currently available on DVD, Amateur, in case you were wondering...)

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post

Either of you two small giggling boys (Panjandrum & Mr Pee) care to explain what is so hootworthy about the 'Fairtrade' initiative?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X