• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

A on 3: Richard Strauss; Intermezzo

A vintage recording from 1980 of "Intermezzo", although it has taken me rather a long time to warm to this opera with Strauss exploring as composer and author the viability between words and music. Today's A on 3 (16 Oct) had the distinct advantage of a fine ensemble including; Lucia Popp, DF-Dieskau, Gabriele Fuchs, Adolf Dallapozza and Kurt Moll as a singer! The Bavarian Radio S.O/ Wolfgang Sawallisch, always an outstanding Straussian for me, also an accolade to the occasion. The recording now a welcome addition to my shelves.
  • Roehre

I still have got the original EMI 3LP-set on my shelves

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Thanks, Roehre. Curiously, your response and mention of an EMI 3LP set an association in my mind. On checking, I found a further EMI 2LP Dmm mastering from 1982 of Strauss's "Daphne": Sinfonie-Orch des Bayerischen Rundfunks/Haitink with Lucia Popp in the title role, alongside a splendid cast incl Reiner Goldberg, Ortrun Wenkel, Kurt Moll and Peter Schreier. It was also around this time when I saw Lucia Popp at Covent Garden, alas for the last time, as a radiant Eva in "Die Meistersinger.

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

Lucia Popp, radiant indeed, I couldn't imagine a sweeter-voiced Eva than she. The last time I saw her was in a BBC lunchtime recital at the Wigmore Hall, I think at the beginning of the nineties. The epitome of natural grace and charm and gone too early.

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
          A vintage recording from 1980
          Oh dear - is 1980 really 'vintage'? That makes me feel very old

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I'd certainly describe 1980 as vintage with the LP making way for digital technology within a year or two. And don't fret about feeling very old, Flossie - the north winds will quickly rejuvenate your dejected spirits!

Comment

• Roehre

Thanks, Roehre. Curiously, your response and mention of an EMI 3LP set an association in my mind. On checking, I found a further EMI 2LP Dmm mastering from 1982 of Strauss's "Daphne": Sinfonie-Orch des Bayerischen Rundfunks/Haitink with Lucia Popp in the title role, alongside a splendid cast incl Reiner Goldberg, Ortrun Wenkel, Kurt Moll and Peter Schreier. ....
              Another EMI LP-set still on my shelves, and this Daphne is IMO still unsurpassed IMVHO.
              The DMM mastering made LPs losing a lot of the background noise which was caused by the older patrix/matrix technology, even to such an extent that I have got some Philips DMM LPs (Beaux Art Beethoven piano trios) which only after very seriously comparing between the CD-version and the LP-one eventually show differences - hardly audible only at very high Levels.

Comment

• Roehre

I'd certainly describe 1980 as vintage with the LP making way for digital technology within a year or two. And don't fret about feeling very old, Flossie - the north winds will quickly rejuvenate your dejected spirits!
                And as the sales of vinyl are increasing in a not too far a future digital technology is soo very old hat, soo very 20C

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

It's rather like seeing clothes one wore as a young thing in the 80s (actually in the 80s I wasn't particularly young) described as 'vintage'.

Anyway, back on topic, unfortunately I was travelling all afternoon today so missed the broadcast; I may catch up with it on iplayer.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                    Lucia Popp, radiant indeed, I couldn't imagine a sweeter-voiced Eva than she. The last time I saw her was in a BBC lunchtime recital at the Wigmore Hall, I think at the beginning of the nineties. The epitome of natural grace and charm and gone too early.
                    Apropos Lucia Popp, I also saw her in recital several times but have two outstanding memories. I first heard her, circa 1975, at the ENO as Ilia, Trojan princess in Mozart's "Idomeneo", deputising at a few hours notice, late on a Saturday afternoon, for an indisposed Lois McDonall. A canny Lord Harewood managed to gain Ms Popp's consent and clear the matter with David Webster at Covent Garden gan schnell as the curtain call at The Coli was only a few hours away. Harewood then made a special announcement from the stage and set the house buzzing with excitement. It was inspiring to watch Lucia Popp responding to Rita Hunter's Elettra, the Greek princess, either muttering stage directions, or providing hand signals re placement during their confrontations. The final curtain calls brought a deserved standing ovation which not only brought down the house, but the next door building as well.

Popp's generosity of spirit was also seen on 22 Feb 1982 when she sang Eva at Covent Garden; Hans Sotin ((Sachs),Reiner Goldberg (Walther), Geraint Evans (Beckmesser), Gwynne Howell (Pogner) and the luxury casting of John Tomlinson as the Night Watchman! Colin Davis conducted.

A compelling performance almost came to a standstill when Hans Sotin's voice cracked badly at full flow in the middle of Act 3. An instant fist-in-the-face reaction from the audience as, in a split second, the prime factor of suspended disbelief had been shattered, as we returned to terra firma, albeit with sympathy for the performer. Sotin was visibly affected but courageously continued. A few minutes later, he moved in the direction of Lucia Popp, seated. As soon as he came within her proximity, she reached out and took his hand with a firm grasp. This reaction brought a murmur of approval from the auditorium and helped a speedy return to the full Wagnerian impact - and did not blur the filial relationship between Sachs and Eva! s The hazard of live performance also has its own therapy. Time now to listen to Lucia Popp's interpretation of Strauss's 'Four Last Songs' to greet a sunny weekend.

Comment

• kuligin
                      • Nov 2010

I also remember Popp in Idomeneo as a last minute relpacement, Did she not sing in Italian and the rest of the cast in English, or is my memory at fault.

I certainly remember the stupendous ovation at the end

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kuligin View Post
                        I also remember Popp in Idomeneo as a last minute relpacement, Did she not sing in Italian and the rest of the cast in English, or is my memory at fault.

I certainly remember the stupendous ovation at the end
                        Delighted that someone else here shared the experience, kuligin. Your memory is spot-on. Popp sang in Italian which added piquancy to an extraordinary occasion. Hard to believe that the performance was almost 40 years ago - or now 40 years on!

Comment

Working...
                        X