X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Lack of overseas Podcasts

I was wondering if anyone knew why Radio 3 Podcasts and I player are not available on this side of the pond. In the old days of analog radio transmission this would be understandable, but it puzzles me that while the live Radio 3 content is easily available digitally, the rest of the content is not. It would be nice to listen to some of the Proms Concerts.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew why Radio 3 Podcasts and I player are not available on this side of the pond. In the old days of analog radio transmission this would be understandable, but it puzzles me that while the live Radio 3 content is easily available digitally, the rest of the content is not. It would be nice to listen to some of the Proms Concerts.
    I don't think podcasts have much music on them - just short extracts of the specified 2 or so minutes. I didn't realise the radio On Demand wasn't available: I had thought it was just television programmes.

Is it just the live concerts you can't get? Other radio programmes are available.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Russ

Richard - can you access specific Proms programme pages, e.g.

Wilfred Owen’s shattering verse sits at the heart of Britten’s War Requiem – that great pacifist outpouring of horror and sorrow. Performed here in this First World War centenary year by the same orchestra which premiered it in 1962, in this performance the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and Music Director Andris Nelsons are joined by the BBC Proms Youth Choir.

(from which one can listen again)

Russ
      Last edited by Guest; 27-08-14, 20:11.

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Russ View Post
        Richard - can you access specific Proms programme pages, e.g.

Wilfred Owen’s shattering verse sits at the heart of Britten’s War Requiem – that great pacifist outpouring of horror and sorrow. Performed here in this First World War centenary year by the same orchestra which premiered it in 1962, in this performance the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and Music Director Andris Nelsons are joined by the BBC Proms Youth Choir.

(from which one can listen again)

Russ
        Russ and Ff

Thank you for your replies. I have a Marantz NA 7004 streamer. On the iPad app there are a variety of sub menus that appear, including the ones contained in the links that you both provided. Clicking them leads to an officious sounding Brit recorded message telling me that the content requested is not available in my geographical area.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Russ and Ff

Thank you for your replies. I have a Marantz NA 7004 streamer. On the iPad app there are a variety of sub menus that appear, including the ones contained in the links that you both provided. Clicking them leads to an officious sounding Brit recorded message telling me that the content requested is not available in my geographical area.
          The thing that gets me about this is that there is no requirement to purchase a licence in order to listen to audio radio broadcast such as BBC Radio 3 in the UK. You need a licence to access television programming, but not audio radio, so why block no-UK prospective listeners from accessing audio only iPlayer radio programmes?

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            The thing that gets me about this is that there is no requirement to purchase a licence in order to listen to audio radio broadcast such as BBC Radio 3 in the UK. You need a licence to access television programming, but not audio radio, so why block no-UK prospective listeners from accessing audio only iPlayer radio programmes?
            It's to do with reciprocity. Get the other countries to sign up to a multilateral agreement and then changes might happen; but no broadcaster is going to give away stuff it can sell to other nations, which is a major chunk of its revenue,

Comment

• Russ

On the iPad app
              That's where the problem lies. Try accessing the listen again pages via a normal browser.

Russ

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

To whom it may concern. I have now made room in my PM inbox.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Russ and Ff

Not sure why my link would be blocked: it was only an answer to the question: I’m outside the UK – Can I use BBC iPlayer? Seems a bit odd if they give an answer but don't allow you to read it.

"Because of rights agreements you can only download or stream BBC iPlayer TV programmes while you’re inside the UK.
                  What you can do outside the UK

You can listen to and download most radio programmes outside the UK via a computer. You can also download and listen to BBC podcasts outside the UK. However, some things like sports programmes may be unavailable due to rights agreements.

Highlights from many BBC News programmes are also available outside the UK, as are BBC Sport videos.

Here's some advice if you’re in the UK but see a message saying you’re not.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Presumably it's to do with copyright & as Sir V says, reciprocity (actually not all that easy to say ). We hear the Met Opera broadcasts through an agreement with the EBU, & if my memory is correct they weren't available on iPlayer until recently - presumably the agreement didn't include that.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

That's where the problem lies. Try accessing the listen again pages via a normal browser.

Russ
                      I just did, on my I pad during breakfast. I will have to investigate further tonight. Any thoughts on why the Marantz I pad app didn't work?

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Russ
                        I'd still go along with this until the opposite is confirmed to be the case.

Comment

• Russ

Any thoughts on why the Marantz I pad app didn't work?
                          Could be a hundred and one things, the first thing being I don't have a clue what a Marantz iPad app is. I suspect your Marantz does not have an iPad app, but it will be your iPad that has the app, which is playing through the Marantz. I do not know what app you have got. If you are using the BBC iPlayer app for iPad, the latest version will not have any radio listen again radio functionality.

The BBC iPlayer app is not a generic browser. Do you have a generic browser on your iPad?

Russ

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

Could be a hundred and one things, the first thing being I don't have a clue what a Marantz iPad app is. I suspect your Marantz does not have an iPad app, but it will be your iPad that has the app, which is playing through the Marantz. I do not know what app you have got. If you are using the BBC iPlayer app for iPad, the latest version will not have any radio listen again radio functionality.

The BBC iPlayer app is not a generic browser. Do you have a generic browser on your iPad?

Russ
                            Marantz NA 7004 is a streamer. It is best controlled by an application, or app, for an ipad or portable phone.
                            Upon clicking the Internet rAdio submenu of the App, one can select stations by genre, then by country
                            of origin, etc. Navigating to the BBC RAdio 3 site then brings up additional options, one of which is player. Clicking that leads to a recorded announcement that the content is not available in my geographical location.

Comment

• Russ

Richard - sounds like your App, whatever it is and whoever makes it, is geoblocking all listen again BBC streams. As far as I know, this geoblocking would not be present if you use a normal browser.

Russ

Comment

Working...
                              X