Less varied evening diet while the Proms are on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Less varied evening diet while the Proms are on?

Since live concerts were re-instated as the main programme in the evening we've had a pretty varied diet - a healthy mix of solo recitals, song recitals, chamber concerts, opera, as well as big orchestral concerts. Am I right in thinking that during the Proms we have a much less varied diet - mainly orchestral, with perhaps a couple of operas (rather more this year probably with the Strauss anniversary), but no solo recitals etc. This is presumably dictated by the RAH being the venue for the 7.30 concerts, & the smaller venues used for concerts outside that slot, but it does mean that if orchestral music isn't 'your thing' then it's the CD player for your evening listening.
  • P. G. Tipps
    • Jun 2014

Surely the Proms Concerts (at least in the RAH) are meant to be largely orchestral, with some of the finest orchestras, conductors and soloists participating?

I'm afraid if orchestral music 'isn't your thing' you might be well advised to settle for that CD player, Flosshilde.

Opera is not 'my thing' either so I rarely, if ever, tune into broadcasts from Glyndebourne or the NY Met, and if I did I'd be astonished to hear a Mahler Symphony.

Mind you, on second thoughts ...

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      but it does mean that if orchestral music isn't 'your thing' then it's the CD player for your evening listening.
      Have you just noticed?

My CD collection is not much to speak of but I have a long list of youtube links for these summer evenings’ listening.

As mentioned on another thread (so I thought it meant), maybe it is time the Proms were handed back to / taken over by the BBC itself and Radio 3 were allowed to go its own way and broadcast more varied, unusual and character-ful concerts, for example those from EIF or any of many early music festivals.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
        maybe it is time the Proms were handed back to / taken over by the BBC itself and Radio 3 were allowed to go its own way and broadcast more varied, unusual and character-ful concerts
        Where would they broadcast the concerts? On Radio 2 every night? There just might be complaints. It even seems too much to have them all on BBC Four.

Perhaps the weekend Proms in the RAH could be in the afternoon :-), and Cadogan Hall PCMs in the evening?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Where would they broadcast the concerts? On Radio 2 every night? There just might be complaints. It even seems too much to have them all on BBC Four.
          Well, it is all a bit of a daydream although a lot of proms seem to fit in on BBC1. No? (I can’t really tell as I don’t watch TV)

Perhaps the weekend Proms in the RAH could be in the afternoon :-), and Cadogan Hall PCMs in the evening?
          Yes, Please!! And more of them, please.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

The CBeebies Proms and the BBC Sport Prom are in the morning, so morning RAH concerts are feasible.

As has already been commented this year - including live in tonight's interval on Radio 3 - the temperature and humidity in the summer evenings in the RAH is often unbearable for many people and unpleasant for almost everyone. It would be even worse in the afternoons, wouldn't it? So RAH afternoon Proms aren't possible.

EDIT: Although there are three afternoon RAH Proms later this year, so any survivors can report afterwards on the atmosphere.

Comment

• pilamenon
              • Nov 2010

The Proms are probably more varied than they used to be, and some of the late evening concerts should surely satisfy those who, like me, enjoy other genres. They are often a welcome bonus, though I expect someone will complain that they are on too late for them to listen to . It's hard to begrudge orchestral music its traditional pride of place in the summer evening schedule every year, and there are any number of ways to suit yourself nowadays.
              Last edited by pilamenon; 19-07-14, 22:15. Reason: clarification

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
                The Proms are probably more varied than they used to be, and some of the late evening concerts should surely satisfy those who, like me, enjoy other genres. They are often a welcome bonus. and it's hard to begrudge orchestral music pride of place in the summer evening schedule every year. It seems both appropriate and traditional. Now I expect someone will tell us that they are on too late for them to listen to.
                although some are a bit early for out of towners to get a decent position in the queue.....more 6.30 starts this year?
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
                  It's hard to begrudge orchestral music its traditional pride of place in the summer evening schedule every year, and there are any number of ways to suit yourself nowadays.
                  I don't think the suggestions would amount to what HG describes as 'lobbying' - just offering a few comments. Though it is, on the contrary, quite easy to 'begrudge orchestral music its pride of place in the summer', since it also has pride of place for the remainder of the year, albeit not exclusively. The late night 'other genres' replace Late Junction/World on 3/jazz so offer a similar mix anyway.

HG's point about the temperature is perfectly valid, though an alternative would be for the RAH to sort out its air-conditioning once and for all ... Yes, there are morning Proms - actually quite a good alternative for the weekends - though there are still orchestral concerts in the evenings! But, quite right - there are 'any number of ways to suit yourself nowadays' ...
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

HG's point about the temperature is perfectly valid, though an alternative would be for the RAH to sort out its air-conditioning once and for all ...
                    Are people aware of how much quiet air conditioning costs ?
                    And for a building like the RAH with listed status etc etc etc

Surely the Turkish Bath experience is as part of the Proms in the same way that the Glastonbury mud is part of that festival?
                    and anyway it's authentically Victorian as anyone who has been to the Baths in Harrogate will tell you

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      Are people aware of how much quiet air conditioning costs ?
                      And for a building like the RAH with listed status etc etc etc
                      That's that suggestion blown out of the water, then. Why not a glorious spring festival instead?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

That's that suggestion blown out of the water, then. Why not a glorious spring festival instead?
                        (I was saving my cry of "BINGO" for the Elgar thread )

In the many concert halls and venues I have been when they are empty it's noticeable how rare it is to get really quiet air conditioning.
                        The Esplanade in Singapore has it (thankfully given the climate) and the newly RFH is good as well. For those folks involved in recording it's a source of constant headache trying to get a really quiet ambience without the hum.

I'd rather have the RFH Steam room than the MUSIC department I visited in a (new build) secondary school a couple of weeks ago with NO windows, no control of the lights so that when I projected an image of a score on the "interactive whiteboard" for us to follow NO one could see it! Coupled with noisy air conditioning that wasn't able to be turned off the teacher said "I don't understand why I always seem to get a horrible headache after working in this room" email is on it's way..........)

Comment

• Vile Consort
                          • Nov 2010

The midweek 7.30 slot has been occupied by orchestral concerts for decades. The "more varied diet" is a very recent innovation necessitated by budget cuts.

Of course, there was a time when we got the orchestral concerts and the other stuff as well. But, apparently, the richer and better educated the country gets, the less we can afford and the more it is necessary to pander to the hard of thinking.

As for air conditioning, I seem to remember that the Free Trade Hall had a rather noisy ventilation system. The temperature and humidity used to climb until the orchestra was playing loudly enough, whereupon a flow of fresh air would be felt.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
                            The midweek 7.30 slot has been occupied by orchestral concerts for decades. The "more varied diet" is a very recent innovation necessitated by budget cuts.
                            Does it cost less to relay a chamber orchestra concert, or a solo recital?

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post

Of course, there was a time when we got the orchestral concerts and the other stuff as well. But, apparently, the richer and better educated the country gets, the less we can afford and the more it is necessary to pander to the hard of thinking.

As for air conditioning, I seem to remember that the Free Trade Hall had a rather noisy ventilation system. The temperature and humidity used to climb until the orchestra was playing loudly enough, whereupon a flow of fresh air would be felt.
                              Most people aren't getting richer.
                              Over the last 10 years, it is the top 10% who have been getting richer, and perhaps better educated, at least in how to keep power and wealth.
                              Many people in(and out ) of work, have had a terrible time of it. Pay rises in many companies are a thing of the past outside of board level.
                              The people who runs things like the Proms CHOOSE to dumb down, or whatever you want to call , because the folks at the top dont want the rest of the population thinking too much, and are worried because they know that, in truth, those people are capable of serious thought.
                              It is a fear driven agenda.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                              X