• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

From Finchcocks Museum: R3 Live in Concert 13 July

An evening at Finchcocks with pianist Melvyn Tan.

Melvyn Tan performs Mozart and Beethoven on two peerless historic instruments of the type that the composers themselves would have played. Well known for his persuasive advocacy on behalf of the fortepiano, tonight Melvyn Tan will explore the unique sound worlds of two Viennese-made pianos, a Michael Rosenberger of around 1796 and a Johann Fritz of 1814. Although constructed only a few years apart, these two pianos seem to point in different directions: the crispness of the Rosenberger harks back to the classical instruments of Stein and Walter for which Mozart wrote many of his keyboard sonatas whilst the more veiled sonority of the Fritz draws us towards the romantic world of Beethoven and his Moonlight Sonata […]

Melvyn Tan (piano) plays Mozart, Muthel and Beethoven at Finchcocks Musical Museum.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

I should actually be able to get home from work to listen to it live. Which will be nice. Good that Tan had returned to period instruments, too.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Ah, lovely Finchcocks...what a delightful place in which to spend the day.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        Ah, lovely Finchcocks...what a delightful place in which to spend the day.
        Went there years ago. I suppose Richard Burnett has left/died A lovely man.

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

82 years old and still with us as far as I am aware

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Glad to hear that...a wonderfully eccentric character whose passion for early instruments really shines through. The whole Finchcocks experience is sheer delight!

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I will have to go there! The admission fee is a rather steep though? It was a wonderful recital as well!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                The admission fee is a rather steep though?
                yes, £12. I guess to make the most of it you look round the gardens first before the house opens at 2pm [if that's allowed]. But over 100 instruments to look at and hear. Only Sundays in July by the looks of it, 3 days per week next month.

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  yes, £12. I guess to make the most of it you look round the gardens first before the house opens at 2pm [if that's allowed]. But over 100 instruments to look at and hear. Only Sundays in July by the looks of it, 3 days per week next month.
                  http://www.finchcocks.co.uk/pages/opendays.php
                  I shall never forget Richard Burnett playing Mozart's Turkish Rondo on a prepared piano, with an attachment atthe side. Hilarious.

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

I remember him saying that when the ladies in the tea room next door hear the Turkish Rondo, then they know that the recital is coming to an end and they start getting the cups ready!

Comment

• devinemusicman

Hello everyone. I'm glad you enjoyed the broadcast yesterday. Happy to say that Richard is still going strong and demonstrating the instruments regularly! Good wishes to all...

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Hello, dm - welcome to the forum. I'm sure the Early Music members will appreciate any inside info - if you have any!
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

I've just finished listening...a lovely recital and the programme made so much more enjoyable by the talks with Richard and Katrina Burnett. Well done to all!

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                            I've just finished listening...a lovely recital and the programme made so much more enjoyable by the talks with Richard and Katrina Burnett. Well done to all!
                            Just wish I could have heard it, but thanks to all for the news. I hope I hear music again one day,lots of health problems.

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

So sorry to hear that, salymap...wishing you well and hope you are back on your feet again soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X