X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oliver
    • Jun 2024

Salonen's Mahler 8; RFH 20/06/14

I'd never heard the Mahler 8 at the RFH before and wondered how the venue would cope with its enormous forces. The answer was to transform the Symphony of a Thousand into one of about four hundred. Predictably there were both gains and losses.
    Salonen had obviously thought through the remarkable orchestral effects that Mahler used, particularly in the Part Two. That magical moment when Faust is transfigured- harmonium, piccolo, E flat clarinet, harp, piano, celeste- was wonderful. And the woodwind detail in the middle part of the movement revealed details that I've missed since I first sang in the boys' choir in the 1959 Horenstein performance, studying recorded performances avidly ever since. The brass made a tremendous impact, as expected, and the organ looked and sounded resplendent. But the string section wasn't augmented as it probably needs to be.

However, well as the choirs sang, there was a lack of impact due to their relatively small numbers. I recall the boys' choir in Horenstein's performance
    numbering one hundred plus (our choir master strong-armed everyone who could sing in tune); the Tiffin boys had about thirty or forty. If this choir is to cut through the orchestral tumult, it must shout like a gang of urchins from Oliver! And be large enough . I still have the photograph the BBC presented to us; it reveals an astonishing sight. There were 750 performers that night.

Oddly, Salonen positioned the soloists at the wings near the extra brass. To be blunt, I heard little of them.

Despite these limitations, the symphony was a thrilling event, just as Mahler desired. I just wonder whether the RFH was the right venue for it.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

I had wondered whether or not to attend this one but cried off in the end as I knew it would never be better than Tennstedt's 1991 performance in the same venue which I did attend.

Tennstedt had an extended platform for the huge forces involved and while I can't be sure about the augmented strings, the DVD is available to check this out. The boys' choir, the boys of Eton College, had no trouble in cutting through the tumult and the combined choirs were big enough to make a hefty racket when required.

KT also had his soloists grouped to the left and positioned near the wings but I don't recall any problems with hearing them. In fact, Tennstedt's performance on January 27 1991 was one of the greatest musical experiences of my life.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      I had wondered whether or not to attend this one but cried off in the end as I knew it would never be better than Tennstedt's 1991 performance in the same venue which I did attend.

Tennstedt had an extended platform for the huge forces involved and while I can't be sure about the augmented strings, the DVD is available to check this out. The boys' choir, the boys of Eton College, had no trouble in cutting through the tumult and the combined choirs were big enough to make a hefty racket when required.

KT also had his soloists grouped to the left and positioned near the wings but I don't recall any problems with hearing them. In fact, Tennstedt's performance on January 27 1991 was one of the greatest musical experiences of my life.
      One of mine too Pet

Comment

• Tevot
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oliver View Post
        I'd never heard the Mahler 8 at the RFH before and wondered how the venue would cope with its enormous forces. The answer was to transform the Symphony of a Thousand into one of about four hundred. Predictably there were both gains and losses.
        Salonen had obviously thought through the remarkable orchestral effects that Mahler used, particularly in the Part Two. That magical moment when Faust is transfigured- harmonium, piccolo, E flat clarinet, harp, piano, celeste- was wonderful. And the woodwind detail in the middle part of the movement revealed details that I've missed since I first sang in the boys' choir in the 1959 Horenstein performance, studying recorded performances avidly ever since. The brass made a tremendous impact, as expected, and the organ looked and sounded resplendent. But the string section wasn't augmented as it probably needs to be.

However, well as the choirs sang, there was a lack of impact due to their relatively small numbers. I recall the boys' choir in Horenstein's performance
        numbering one hundred plus (our choir master strong-armed everyone who could sing in tune); the Tiffin boys had about thirty or forty. If this choir is to cut through the orchestral tumult, it must shout like a gang of urchins from Oliver! And be large enough . I still have the photograph the BBC presented to us; it reveals an astonishing sight. There were 750 performers that night.

Oddly, Salonen positioned the soloists at the wings near the extra brass. To be blunt, I heard little of them.

Despite these limitations, the symphony was a thrilling event, just as Mahler desired. I just wonder whether the RFH was the right venue for it.
        Thanks for posting Oliver. Do you know whether the BBC recorded it for broadcast? I read a positive review in The Guardian today -

Esa-Pekka Salonen held together the gargantuan forces of Mahler's Eighth Symphony for a balanced interpretation, writes George Hall

Best Wishes

Tevot

Comment

• Lento
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
          I read a positive review in The Guardian today -

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...-review-london
          Also in the Times, a short extract of which is below the URL link:

It was probably serendipity rather than design that the opening weekend of the Southbank’s Festival of Love concluded with Mahler’s Eighth Symphony, an awesome, sometimes ear-splitting ode to

"It was fascinating to compare this concert with the one of the same work that also closed the Royal Scottish National Orchestra’s season in May. There, in Edinburgh’s more acoustically friendly Usher Hall, Peter Oundjian led a vibrant performance shaped, played and sung as grand oratorio. By contrast, Salonen hurtled through Part I of the symphony, the great hymn Veni Creator Spiritus, with the same lean momentum and dramatic thrust that characterises all his Mahler. To their considerable credit, the outstanding singers of the Philharmonia Voices, Rodolfus Choir and Tiffin Boys’ Choir sprinted virtuosically alongside: tight in ensemble, yet rapturous in full cry. Relaxing into the metaphysical drama of Part II, choruses and orchestra then followed Salonen into Goethe’s ethereal realms with spellbinding beauty.
          Some of Mahler’s magic tricks didn’t quite cast their spell, at least not from the seventh row of the stalls: “off-stage brass” tucked on either side of the orchestra blurred into the rest,"

Comment

Working...
          X