X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Navigating Orchestral Web Sites For Performances

I am not a techie, and this question may sound idiotic to those of you that routinely access music from Orchestral Web Sites, but here goes anyway.
    I had read in Grammophone that the Detroit Symphony Orchestra is now live streaming their Concerts, and per the article, the only other Orchestra to do this is the Berlin Philharmonic. I have read favorable remarks on this forum about the BPO site.
    I grew up in Detroit and the DSO was my home Orchestra until I moved in my mid 20s and I still try to attend a concert when I am back in Detroit visitng family. My sister, who lives in Detroit and is a season ticket holder of the DSO, and I are renting a house until tomorrow on Lake Michigan with our two families and I would like to show her the site but I am having trouble figuring it out. I pulled a link to an April Concert and was able to watch a performance of the Beethoven Violin Concerto but can't seem to access other concerts.
    I then tried the Berlin PO site to see if I could figure out how this is done, and I couldn't find any link to any concerts. There were a few links that sounded promising but they were dead ends that lead eslewhere.
    So my question is this: Is "live streaming" only possible during the actual concert performance? Are these concerts then not archived on the sites for future access?
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Depends on the orchestra and site. The Gothenburg orchestra has a site with some archived pieces.

I agree that this kind of site may require a bit of digging to find. In this case it didn't pop up immediately, and eventually I found it in a Swedish version.
    However an obvious change to the site url revealed this, which should be readable by most of us here - http://www.gsoplay.se/en

I'll look for others.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Rlpo

Here is what the RLPO put out on the web - http://www.liverpoolphil.com/2039/ro...orchestra.html

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

The Hallé's offerings

The Hallé seems to do a lot on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheHalleOfficial

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          I am not a techie, and this question may sound idiotic to those of you that routinely access music from Orchestral Web Sites, but here goes anyway.
          I had read in Grammophone that the Detroit Symphony Orchestra is now live streaming their Concerts, and per the article, the only other Orchestra to do this is the Berlin Philharmonic. I have read favorable remarks on this forum about the BPO site.
          I grew up in Detroit and the DSO was my home Orchestra until I moved in my mid 20s and I still try to attend a concert when I am back in Detroit visitng family. My sister, who lives in Detroit and is a season ticket holder of the DSO, and I are renting a house until tomorrow on Lake Michigan with our two families and I would like to show her the site but I am having trouble figuring it out. I pulled a link to an April Concert and was able to watch a performance of the Beethoven Violin Concerto but can't seem to access other concerts.
          I then tried the Berlin PO site to see if I could figure out how this is done, and I couldn't find any link to any concerts. There were a few links that sounded promising but they were dead ends that lead eslewhere.
          So my question is this: Is "live streaming" only possible during the actual concert performance? Are these concerts then not archived on the sites for future access?

The Berlin Phil have an app which is a very good way of accessing their material. Their site is superb if a bit expensive. However, Mrs. PG bought me an annual subscription for my Christmas and I've had great value from it. There are many first rate concerts and all new stuff is archived after being broadcast live. There are also films and those are excellent too.

There is free stuff available too and that's a great introduction to their site.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

PG response is the key, as I now understand that this isn't a free service. Not that it should be, mind you...

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
              Is "live streaming" only possible during the actual concert performance? Are these concerts then not archived on the sites for future access?
              If the site works in a way similar to the BPO DCH then the answer to both questions is 'yes'.

However, looking at this http://www.dso.org/LiveFeed.aspx?page_id=721 is a dead end. It tells you 'you can watch it again and again for free' but then says 'media unavailable'. Bizarre.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                If the site works in a way similar to the BPO DCH then the answer to both questions is 'yes'.

However, looking at this http://www.dso.org/LiveFeed.aspx?page_id=721 is a dead end. It tells you 'you can watch it again and again for free' but then says 'media unavailable'. Bizarre.
                OK, I had that problem as well, glad it wasn't just me...

Thanks Dave for the links you provided. The Liverpool link seems particularly intriguing.

Comment

• Estelle
                  • Nov 2010

Hello, Richard,
                  Out of curiosity I Googled the DSO and found this link to their live webcasts. The top banner states that the webcasts are free.

Currently a video of Augustin Hadelich playing the Beethoven Violin Concerto under Andrew Litton is available to watch and hear. (The sound is better than the video.) A note indicates that the video is available until June 16, but it's playing on my computer in California today! It seems that only the concerto is available, not the entire concert. You can sign up for webcast alerts.
                  Last edited by Estelle; 21-06-14, 03:24.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Estelle View Post
                    Hello, Richard,
                    Out of curiosity I Googled the DSO and found this link to their live webcasts. The top banner states that the webcasts are free.

Currently a video of Augustin Hadelich playing the Beethoven Violin Concerto under Andrew Litton is available to watch and hear. (The sound is better than the video.) A note indicates that the video is available until June 16, but it's playing on my computer in California today! It seems that only the concerto is available, not the entire concert. You can sign up for webcast alerts.
                    Hi Estelle

I was able to bring up that same Beethoven Violin Concerto performance, and I referred to it in my OP. I was wondering about other content, which I don't know how to access. I think the DSO needs to work out a few bugs before they tout their website as being in a class with the Berlin PO.

Comment

• Estelle
                      • Nov 2010

Richard,
                      You will probably want to sign up for those webcast alerts in order to access live streaming of future concerts, which probably won't happen until the fall. I certainly agree with you that what I saw was a long way from what the Berlin Philharmonic offers in its digital concert hall, though the sound was luscious.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Estelle View Post
                        Richard,
                        You will probably want to sign up for those webcast alerts in order to access live streaming of future concerts, which probably won't happen until the fall. I certainly agree with you that what I saw was a long way from what the Berlin Philharmonic offers in its digital concert hall, though the sound was luscious.
                        On the other hand, as oppossed to the BPO site, the content may be free...

Comment

• Estelle
                          • Nov 2010

Richard,
                          The DSO content is indeed free (The site is sponsored by the Ford Motor Company). The Berlin site also offers free videos.

Comment

Working...
                          X