X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Pascal Rogé Lunchtime Recital

Debussy, Ravel and Poulenc played by M. Roget in last Monday's lunchtime concert, repeated next Sun and on the iPlayer. Lovely playing and with the Poulenc suite, unusual repertoire. Interested if anyone else thinks the piano sounds very different to the usual WH instrument. Probably the combined effect of my ears and the car radio but it sounded un-Steinway to me viz bell-like treble and a less-focused bass - Bluthner-ish sound.
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Roget
    No doubt the critics will be reaching for their Thesauruses.
    Last edited by Sir Velo; 11-06-14, 12:32.

Comment

• Lento
      • Jan 2014

Enjoyed the way he made the familiar Ravel Sonatine interesting and involving to hear. Didn't notice the piano.

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

Oh dear, Pascal Rogé.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lento View Post
          Enjoyed the way he made the familiar Ravel Sonatine interesting and involving to hear. Didn't notice the piano.
          I have this piece, possibly the easiest of Ravel's piano oeuvre for the amateur of scant technique such as I to play. I still find it an enigmatic, emotionally dead work - so different from the stunning contemporary "Miroirs", and have yet to hear a performance that makes sense of it. The rest of the concert was fine, but with a reading of the famous "Claire de Lune" - which, as I understand it, its composer hated - which was almost over-indulgent.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
            No doubt the critics will be reaching for their Thesauruses.
            Is that really the plural of Thesaurus?...

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

...in my book, it's perfectly OK to shove an English plural form on any 'foreign' word that has become accepted into the English language, e.g. prospectuses, referendums, Wiener schnitzels.....
              Last edited by ardcarp; 11-06-14, 18:22.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                ...in my book, it's perfectly OK to shove an English plural form on any 'foreign' word that has become accepted into the English language, e.g. prospectuses, referendums, Wiener schnitzels.....
                In my book, namely the OED, I'm amazed to see that they only give the plural thesauri. In principle, I agree that once a word has become 'naturalised' it bends to English rules.

I do avoid using panini in the 'plural', though
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                X