Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Bernard Haitink and COE on Thursday 5th June at 7.30

Bernard Haitink and COE - Schumann, Berg, Beethoven
    Duration: 2 hours, 30 minutes
    First broadcast:Thursday 05 June 2014

Bernard Haitink conducts the Chamber Orchestra of Europe in works by Schumann, Berg and Beethoven live from London's Barbican Hall, with violinist Isabelle Faust

Presented by Martin Handley

Schumann: Overture to Manfred
    Berg: Violin Concerto

8.10pm
    Interval

8.30pm
    Beethoven: Symphony no.6 'Pastoral'

Isabelle Faust (violin)
    Chamber Orchestra of Europe
    Bernard Haitink (conductor)

The vibrant young players of the Chamber Orchestra are joined by veteran conductor Bernard Haitink in a programme of contrasts.

In between the heart-on-sleeve romanticism of Schumann's tribute to Byron and the radiance of Beethoven's 'Pastoral' symphony comes the austere beauty of Berg's violin concerto. Dedicated to the memory of a family friend who died shockingly young, it is both a moving eulogy and a taughtly-argued musical masterpiece.

German violinist Isabelle Faust is a regular visitor to concert venues in the UK as soloist and chamber musician and is particularly associated with Berg's concerto, winning a Gramophone Award for her interpretation in 2011.
    Bernard Haitink conducts the Chamber Orchestra of Europe in works by Schumann, Berg and Beethoven live from London's Barbican Hall, with violinist Isabelle...  Show more
  • EnemyoftheStoat
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post

The vibrant young players of the Chamber Orchestra...
    As I understand it, the COE stopped being a youth orchestra quite a while ago, no?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
      As I understand it, the COE stopped being a youth orchestra quite a while ago, no?
      This is what I'd thought - made up of players formerly in the European Community Youth orchestra (does that still exist?). But how can a "Chamber Orchestra" perform the Berg Violin Concerto? It'd need a very big chamber.

Logistics aside - this is a very attractive programme.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Hornspieler
        Late Member
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
        Yes indeed. But the core of the orchestra is still those who were in the youth orchestra and only the name was changed.

As for FHGs message #3, one might also say the same of the Scottish Chamber Orchestra playing Brahms symphonies.

A little augmentation is all that is required - and Haitinck knows what he is doing.

I have never got to grips with the Berg concerto, but I am still trying and I listen to it at every opportunity; seeking to find what it is that cause others to praise it so highly. The Age of Enlightenment (another Chamber Orchestra) has so far eluded me - but I shall continue to seek my own enlightenment regarding Alban Berg's compositions..

HS

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Yes indeed. But the core of the orchestra is still those who were in the youth orchestra and only the name was changed.

As for FHGs message #3, one might also say the same of the Scottish Chamber Orchestra playing Brahms symphonies.

A little augmentation is all that is required - and Haitinck knows what he is doing.

I have never got to grips with the Berg concerto, but I am still trying and I listen to it at every opportunity; seeking to find what it is that cause others to praise it so highly. The Age of Enlightenment (another Chamber Orchestra) has so far eluded me - but I shall continue to seek my own enlightenment regarding Alban Berg's compositions..

HS
          Youth hostels pretty much went the same way. ...Edit, but the other way round now I think about it.

Any old how, I am on Hornys team with regard to the Berg. Just hasnt clicked with me. Perhaps my current musical heroine can sort it out, rough tone or no.

What is a shame is that the Berg gets so many airings, (not to say that it doesnt deserve a place on the concert platform), when there are so many other deserving C20 , including 2VS works that could do with a more regular run out.
          Last edited by teamsaint; 02-06-14, 20:07.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

One of my favourite combos of artists. Unfortunate about the programme!!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

One might; but then some smart a ... lec might likewise point out that the Brahms Symphonies require only seven players more than those required for the Haydn "London" Symphonies, or Mozart's Paris Symphony. (An extra pair of Horns, a trio of Trombones and a Contrabassoonist, with a Tuba in the Second and a Triangle player in the Fourth.) Berg requires twelve extra players (2 extra Clarinets, 2 extra horns, 3 trombones and Contrabass Tuba, Harp, and three percussionists), plus (presumably) "boosting" in the String section. This, I would suggest is more than "a little augmentation". But, as you say, "Haitink knows what he is doing".

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                In what way, Bbm?

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  Don't you like music, bbm?

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Such a pity I can't attend this concert. I have the small matter of my 60th birthday meal with family to deal with. It would have been the perfect treat, a great programme with my favourite conductor, but there we are, sacrifices have to be made!

Bravo to Radio 3 for broadcasting it. I will most certainly record it and listen to it once the jollifications have ceased.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      I have the small matter of my 60th birthday meal with family to deal with.
                      The very happiest of birthdays, Petrushka! Long may they continue

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Yes I'm thrilled this is on the wireless as I am unable to attend this or the other programme on Saturday which includes Mozart 40.

Good news for you Petrushka!

Comment

• Hornspieler
                          Late Member
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          One might; but then some smart a ... lec might likewise point out that the Brahms Symphonies require only seven players more than those required for the Haydn "London" Symphonies, or Mozart's Paris Symphony. (An extra pair of Horns, a trio of Trombones and a Contrabassoonist, with a Tuba in the Second and a Triangle player in the Fourth.) Berg requires twelve extra players (2 extra Clarinets, 2 extra horns, 3 trombones and Contrabass Tuba, Harp, and three percussionists), plus (presumably) "boosting" in the String section. This, I would suggest is more than "a little augmentation". But, as you say, "Haitink knows what he is doing".
                          It is many years since I took part in a performance of the Berg Violin Concerto (Iona Brown, if my memory serves me correctly) but I don't remember any augmentation of the orchestra - certainly not extra strings.

Is there any difference in the instrumental requirements from those needed for the Schumann overture? (apart from two extra clarinets - presumably E flat and Bass) and contrafagotte (Grossvarter in German - a nice description!)

HS

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                            The very happiest of birthdays, Petrushka! Long may they continue
                            +1 - many Happies, Pet

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Is there any difference in the instrumental requirements from those needed for the Schumann overture? (apart from two extra clarinets - presumably E flat and Bass) and contrafagotte (Grossvarter in German - a nice description!)
                              Tuba, Harp, and 3 percussionists - and, presumably, boosted strings? The Clarinets required play Bb, A, Bass and Alto Saxophone.

But - Berg requires one trombone and one trombone fewer than Schumann: it's actually the smallest Orchestra I think Berg ever uses - still requiring about 80 orchestral players, I'd've thought (25 puffers, bangers and a plucker, plus about 50 - 60 scrapers?)

Comment

Working...
                              X