X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Live in Concert June 1 2014 LSO/Sir Simon Rattle

Interesting to check out Rattle and the LSO to see if it's a match made in heaven.

Beethoven: Violin Concerto
    Henze: Being Beauteous
    Schumann: Symphony No 2

Veronika Eberle (violin)
    Anna Prohaska (soprano)

London Symphony Orchestra
    Sir Simon Rattle
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • MLF

A pdf of the programme: http://www.lso.co.uk/images/01_06_Web_538848494abec.pdf

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Interesting to check out Rattle and the LSO to see if it's a match made in heaven.

Beethoven: Violin Concerto
      Henze: Being Beauteous
      Schumann: Symphony No 2

Veronika Eberle (violin)
      Anna Prohaska (soprano)

London Symphony Orchestra
      Sir Simon Rattle
      Not sure whether it is or not Pet but it sounded pretty good to me.
      The Henze was beyond me though,just getting to grips with the symphonies.
      There were clappers and coughers too.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

I don't know how Rattle does it but again here he made a concert programme into an event. A thoroughly enjoyable evening that augurs well for a future Rattle/LSO partnership should it come about.

My enjoyment of the Beethoven Violin Concerto was marred by a sudden burst of drop outs (on Freeview) at the first orchestral tutti and I thought that the lower woodwind and horns were too prominently balanced but Ms Eberle had a wonderful sweet tone and there was much to enjoy.

The Henze wasn't a piece I've heard before but it made a beautifully mesmerising sound. The real revelation of the evening for me, though, was the Schumann Symphony No 2. I've never really been that enthusiastic about Schumann but this was an exciting and moving performance. If the aim was to shift a few copies of the new recording of the cycle on the BPO label then I think it probably succeeded.

Has anyone ever commented on the strong similarities between the theme of the slow movement and Elgar's Enigma Variations? The Schumann influence (if such it is) doesn't end there as there is an even stronger reminiscence of the Piano Concerto in Variation 13. Elgar spent a lot of time in Leipzig and Schumann's music must have been part of his life there.

I'm not much good at this reviewing of concerts; just wish we had Jayne Lee Wilson on hand to show how it's really done.
        Last edited by Petrushka; 01-06-14, 22:57. Reason: missing p
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          I don't know how Rattle does it but again here he made a concert programme into an event. A thoroughly enjoyable evening that augurs well for a future Rattle/LSO partnership should it come about.

My enjoyment of the Beethoven Violin Concerto was marred by a sudden burst of drop outs (on Freeview) at the first orchestral tutti and I thought that the lower woodwind and horns were too prominently balanced but Ms Eberle had a wonderful sweet tone and there was much to enjoy.

The Henze wasn't a piece I've heard before but it made a beautifully mesmerising sound. The real revelation of the evening for me, though, was the Schumann Symphony No 2. I've never really been that enthusiastic about Schumann but this was an exciting and moving performance. If the aim was to shift a few copies of the new recording of the cycle on the BPO label then I think it probably succeeded.

Has anyone ever commented on the strong similarities between the theme of the slow movement and Elgar's Enigma Variations? The Schumann influence (if such it is) doesn't end there as there is an even stronger reminiscence of the Piano Concerto in Variation 13. Elgar sent a lot of time in Leipzig and Schumann's music must have been part of his life there.

I'm not much good at this reviewing of concerts; just wish we had Jayne Lee Wilson on hand to show how it's really done.
          Some interesting thoughts there Pet, plenty to be going on with, so thanks for that.
          technology all a bit over the place here, i was trying and failing to catch up with last nights concert and resorted to Cds in the end.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

At least I be able to take my time with the Henze on repeated listening it may help?
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Lento
              • Jan 2014

Breathtaking string playing at the end of the Schumann Scherzo, I thought. Can't quite hear the link with Enigma, save the key and falling 7ths; wasn't the Variation 13 quote believed to be a minor version of Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage, although "3 sad blind mice" is closer to the pf concerto than to the "3 happy blind mice" of the overture. I haven't heard the Beethoven Violin Concerto for ages, but did anybody think it was pulled around rather more than usual?
              Last edited by Lento; 02-06-14, 14:29.

Comment

• rodney_h_d
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lento View Post
                .....I haven't heard the Beethoven Violin Concerto for ages, but did anybody think it was pulled around rather more than usual?
                Couldn't agree more! I was very disappointed, having been impressed with Veronika Eberle when I heard her in recital in 2007. This very great and demanding concerto requires immaculate playing from the soloist - untroubled by all that 'interpretation'. I didn't feel that Sir Simon was helping at all.

Comment

Working...
                X