• edashtav
    • Jul 2012

RLPO Petrenko live from Perth Sunday 25th May: Elgar,Copeland, Prokofiev

Elgar: In the South 'Alassio', Op.50

Stewart Copeland: Percussion Concerto

Prokofiev: Symphony No 6, Op. 111

Vasily Petrenko (conductor)
    Neil Hitt (timpani)
    Adrian Spillett, Graham Johns and Henry Baldwin (percussion)
    Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra

So far, I've listened only to the first half of this concert. Vassily's In the South was better than workmanlike but it wasn't a honed, completed project. Some strategic opportunties for stringing sentences into coherent paragraphs were missed and the final chords, which are always difficult to bring off, were muddied and imprecise.

Parts of the problem may have been Perth Hall's ungrateful, dead, exposing acoustics. It's not the "Fair Maid of Perth", IMHO.

But, I want to dwell on the Copeland Percussion Concerto. A time there was when R.3 listeners were protected from this genre of score by the high-minded "Listening Panel": scores were examined and many, perhaps too many, were banned from being broadcast because they did not meet rigorous criteria. Nowadays, we're less censorious and there's far more latitude around. However, there are times when I feel that a line needs to be drawn in the sand. This piece was one that should not have been broadcast, IMO. At the most basic level, it worked, but it was utterly derivative, mind-blowingly banal, and showed the dangers of assuming that a composer from the world of "Pop", who is able to "drive" his music across 3 or 4 minutes, can fill a large canvas with substance. I was embarrassed for Copeland. And... I was angry on behalf of the army of British composers who are replete with new and profound ideas that we, intelligent, listeners need to hear and be challenged by. When will the BBC realise that many keen listeners want to chew red meat, not suck pap up a straw like infants?

Plenty of action from percussionists and orchestra, but "Much Ado About Nothing", I'm afraid.

By the interval, I felt empty and used. I didn't have concentration and energy left to tackle Prokofiev's 6th.
    A shame for I had thought that Petrenko might have something useful to say about the piece.
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
    utterly derivative, mind-blowingly banal, and showed the dangers of assuming that a composer from the world of "Pop", who is able to "drive" his music across 3 or 4 minutes, can fill a large canvas with substance. I was embarrassed for Copeland..
    The worst thing I've heard on R3 recently was by him (no idea of the title), during his morning chats on Essential Classics - all the things you say there applied too. Great bloke but....
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

I didn't hear it, but those are top-notch players. You have to love a timpanist called Neil Hitt.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
        • Nov 2010

I was there. I didn't much care for "In the South" - too much pulling the music about (and I had had high hopes, as Petrenko's Elgar 1st was a very fine performance when I heard him as a stand-in for Colin Davis with the LSO). The Concerto was interesting to watch but was musically, err ...., "thin". I wouldn't rush to listen to it again. Matters improved for the Prokofiev 6th but it wasn't quite the powerful experience I was expecting. Maybe it was due to tiredness on my part (I'd been driving for what seemed like half the day all over central Scotland) plus the fact that the hall is just a bit too small for a largish orchestra. The BBC SSO, who are regular visitors, seem to be able to get round that drawback. The RLPO, which I suspect might never have played in the hall before, probably didn't have time to experiment with orchestral layout etc. It didn't sound as bad in the flesh, though, as on Radio 3 where, listening again this morning, I thought that the hall sounded just as Edashtav has described above. All in all, nothing very festive about a "festival concert".

Comment

• Lento
          • Jan 2014

I didn't hear the percussion concerto but presume it was the same as that reviewed by Hilary Finch from a different concert in today's Times . I'm afraid she refers to mind-numbingly embryonic material and paucity of invention, and asks whether the RLPO really needed to commission it.

Before closing Philharmonic Hall for renovation and a grand reopening in November, the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic promised they would be “bringing the house down!” in their final concert of the

Comment

• Hornspieler
            Late Member
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Lento View Post
            I didn't hear the percussion concerto but presume it was the same as that reviewed by Hilary Finch from a different concert in today's Times . I'm afraid she refers to mind-numbingly embryonic material and paucity of invention, and asks whether the RLPO really needed to commission it.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/arts/m...cle4100548.ece
            To highjack a popular phrase from the world of computers:

"Rubish In, Rubbish Out"

Comment

Working...
            X