X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Elgar Falstaff: BPO Barenboim

If you fancy a trip to the Philharmonie, there is a live BPO webcast of Falstaff (plus Nicolai Merry Wives overture and Tchaik 5) this Thursday 1 May at 11am (Berlin time).
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
    If you fancy a trip to the Philharmonie, there is a live BPO webcast of Falstaff (plus Nicolai Merry Wives overture and Tchaik 5) this Thursday 1 May at 11am (Berlin time).
    Nice to see Barenboim still doing Elgar other than the Cello Conc, and in Berlin too. I have a few of his 70s CBS LPs but haven't noticed him doing very much since. (Not that I'm a B groupie looking at his every concert programme!)
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

And the Berlin Staatskapelle under Barenboim have just released a CD of the Elgar 2. They are giving a live performance at the RFH next April.

I'd have liked to have seen the BPO concert live but I shall be at work, alas.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

I have pre-ordered the Barenboim Elgar 2 and look forward to giving my ever so 'umble opinion of it. Just hope the neighbours are out when it arrives...

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          I have pre-ordered the Barenboim Elgar 2 and look forward to giving my ever so 'umble opinion of it. Just hope the neighbours are out when it arrives...
          It will be interesting to see if his approach to the work has changed in the 40 years that have passed since his first recording.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Problem is, I've just shelled out for Oramo's (wonderful, superlative, fabulous, etc., etc. [foams at the mouth]) Swedish version. Ah well, Mrs Pabs will have to be philosophical about it...

Trouble is, it doesn't come naturally...
            Last edited by Pabmusic; 30-04-14, 08:04.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
              Problem is, I've just shelled out for Oramo's (wonderful, superlative, fabulous, etc., etc. [foams at the mouth]) Swedish version. Ah well, Mrs Pabs will have to be philosophical about it...

Trouble is, it doesn't come naturally...
              Just throw in a casual mention of guinea-pigs Pabs - that'll divert her

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Just throw in a casual mention of guinea-pigs Pabs - that'll divert her
                What a good idea!!

Comment

• silvestrione
                  • Jan 2011

I don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere, but this concert, and superb performance of a really committed BPO in Falstaff, is available free on Medici TV, http://www.medici.tv/#!/europakonzer...barenboim-2014.

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

Many thanks for the link to the Medici site.
                    Such characterful playing from the BPO. If you need to be convinced that Elgar was right to regard this piece so highly, you will find it in this performance. Brilliant sound and video too.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

The Medici site is very good. The performance of Falstaff is fabulous and makes the piece sound as I have thought of it for years - as Elgar's 3rd Symphony (with two interludes) in C minor.

Comment

Working...
                      X