• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Lunchtime Concert 17.03.14 - Andrei Bondarenko & Gary Matthewman

Wigmore Hall: Andrei Bondarenko

The young Ukrainian baritone, Andrei Bondarenko, is a member of the Mariinsky Academy of Young Singers. He reached out to an international audience in 2011 when he won the BBC Cardiff Singer of the World Song Prize. In this recital, live from Wigmore Hall in London, Andrei Bondarenko is joined by the pianist Gary Matthewman in a programme of songs by Ibert, Ravel and Sviridov.

Andrei Bondarenko (baritone)
    Gary Matthewman (piano)

Ibert: 4 Chansons de Don Quichotte
    Ravel: Don Quichotte à Dulcinée
    Sviridov: Otchalivshaya Rus
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

This caught my attention because of the pianist.
    Perhaps the most useful thing I ever did as a teacher was to recommend a good piano teacher to a 12 year-old Garry Matthewman.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      This caught my attention because of the pianist.
      Perhaps the most useful thing I ever did as a teacher was to recommend a good piano teacher to a 12 year-old Garry Matthewman.
      Bravo EA!

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

Not a repertory I know anything about and I only heard the first half but I thought it was a very engaging song recital.

Comment

• edashtav
          • Jul 2012

I loved the Sviridov. I have a CD of "Russia, Cast Adrift" marvellously sung by Dmitri Hvorostovsky, sensitively accompanied by Mikhail Arkadiev. I won't say that Bondarenko and Matthewman exceeded that interpetation, but they did complement it, adding accuracy and a wide, and telling, range of nuance. I'm a confoirmed believer in Sviridov's music - it's very conservative but it's not redundant because of Sviridov's wonderful sense for melody and tune and his pared down, economical accompaniment, that, although different in sound and style from Britten, shares an ability to make so much from so little.

A superb first recital at the Wigmore Hall. I hope , and expect, many happy returns.

Comment

Working...
          X