Live in Concert 19.03.14 LPO, Ax/Zinman (Mozart, Bach, Strauss)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Live in Concert 19.03.14 LPO, Ax/Zinman (Mozart, Bach, Strauss)

Live from the Royal Festival Hall at 7.30 p.m.

The London Philharmonic performs Mozart's Prague Symphony, Strauss's Death and Transfiguration and the pianist Emanuel Ax joins them for Bach's Concerto in D minor and Strauss's Burleske.

Mozart: Symphony no.38 (Prague) 00:29:00
    London Philharmonic Orchestra
    David Zinman (conductor)

R Strauss: Burleske in D minor for piano and orchestra
    Emanuel Ax (piano)
    David Zinman (conductor)

J S Bach: Keyboard concerto no.1 in D minor BWV.1052
    Emanuel Ax (piano)
    David Zinman (conductor)

R Strauss: Tod und Verklärung
    David Zinman (conductor)

After Mozart's Prague Symphony, a marvel of the Viennese Classical period, the American pianist, Emanuel Ax, joins the orchestra for a light hearted occasional piece by Strauss and Bach's most famous keyboard concerto. The LPO's concert ends with one of the greatest tone poems in the orchestral repertoire.

Radio 3 is broadcasting live from a pop-up studio at London's Southbank Centre all day every day for the last two weeks of March. If you're in the area, visit the Radio 3 studio and performance space in the Royal Festival Hall Riverside Café to listen to Radio 3, ask questions and enjoy the special events.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Radio 3 Schedule
    During the interval Sara Mohr-Pietsch plays movements from Bach's cantatas, Wir müssen durch viel Trübsal in das Reich Gottes eingehen, BWV 146 and Ich habe meine Zuversicht, BWV 188. which he later adapted and transcribed for his Keyboard Concerto in D minor.
    Do we actually believe this? It's either the performers or the technicians who "play" the music. The presenter does very little.
    I could be wrong. SM-P may well be sitting at the BBC Steinway and performing, in which case, I apologise without reservation.

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

Sparkling performances of the Burleske and BWV 1052 from Ax, even if the latter was an anachronism.

The impromptu da capo repeat of the Tod und Verklarung didn't seem to throw the orchestra unduly. I trust the miscreant was duly thrown out of the hall.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
        Sparkling performances of the Burleske and BWV 1052 from Ax, even if the latter was an anachronism.

The impromptu da capo repeat of the Tod und Verklarung didn't seem to throw the orchestra unduly. I trust the miscreant was duly thrown out of the hall.
        I missed the broadcast... which 'miscreant'?

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

we were told that someone's "personal alarm" went off a few minutes in - the person left to a round of applause
          still a day left to catch this concert, it got very good write-ups
          Last edited by mercia; 25-03-14, 07:51.

Comment

Working...
          X