• Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Live in Concert 18.03.14 - RFH Organ Concert

Live from Royal Festival Hall, London
    7.30 p.m.

A gala re-opening concert to mark the restoration of the Royal Festival Hall organ.

Gigout arr. Allen: Grand choeur dialogué
    J S Bach: Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor (BWV 582)
    Mendelssohn: Scherzo; Nocturne (A Midsummer Night's Dream)
    J S Bach arr. Balsom Concerto in D for keyboard (BWV 972)
    Peter Maxwell Davies: New work
    Sir John Tavener: Monument for Beethoven
    Franck: Fantaisie in A
    Liszt arr. Parker-Smith: Mephisto Waltz no.1
    Dupré: Prelude and Fugue in B major (op 7, no 1)

John Scott, Jane Parker-Smith, Isabelle Demers, David Goode (organ)
    Alison Balsom (trumpet)
    LPO brass ensemble
    Jessica Cottis conductor
    Voicelab, The Elysian Singers

The RFH's famous Harrison and Harrison organ, largely silent for the last six years, is heard complete once more after a multi-million pound restoration. In this gala re-opening concert, four top organists - in repertoire old and brand new - display some of the many facets of this mighty instrument which was controversial in design when first installed in Coronation Year, but is now recognised as a landmark which had a revolutionary effect on organ-building and performance.
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

This is one of my ideal concerts! I just cannot believe the BBC are actually broadcasting this live as well!! Yesss!!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Vile Consort
      • Nov 2010

Money is tight. Organ recitals are no doubt cheap to broadcast - especially in London.

Every cloud ...

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

just trying to work out which of those works will feature brass or choir - [out of interest what turns a concert into a gala ?]

Radio3 is "in residence" at the RFH (or even RAH ) for two weeks as part of the Southbank Pull Out All The Stops Festival

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online
        Last edited by mercia; 12-03-14, 11:49.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

I think an OBE at least for William McVicker who has led this whole project for many years and refused to give up on the organ at the RFH

There are some interesting commissions in this festival, well worth a listen
          my only regret is that Oliver Latry isn't performing his Rite of Spring duet

But well worth going along to if you get the chance

Comment

• subcontrabass
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            just trying to work out which of those works will feature brass or choir - [what makes a concert a gala ?]
            According to the porgramme listing at http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/wha...-concert-74335 the Gigout is arranged for brass and organ, the new work by Peter Maxwell Davies is "A Wall of Music" for organ, brass & choir, and the piece by Sir John Tavener (apparently also specially commissioned) is for chorus and organ.
            Last edited by subcontrabass; 12-03-14, 11:31.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

thank you very much

Comment

• Gordon
                • Nov 2010

It will be interesting to compare the sound of the organ in its new guise with its older one. I know of only a few recordings made since the organ was installed way back in the 50s. Some by Germani and some by the organ's designer Ralph Downes. There was a Pye 1967 double LP of the Bach Clavierubung Part 3 which doesn't seem to have made it to CD and then there is Gillian Wier's concert in 2005 just before the RFH was refurbed. Anyone know of more? - ie specfically just the organ? The LPs are available on Ebay etc but a CD would be good.

Part of the organ's sonic qualities is the Hall itself, one's ear expects a bit more resonance!! That is clear from the Wier CD which has a dead sound to it. Having been in the RFH a few weeks back for an LPO concert it didn't seem to me to be any more lively.

Comment

• mw963
                  • Feb 2012

Did no one listen in the end?

Because it's so rare to hear any organ music on the radio (apart from the voluntary on CE each week) I did find the acoustic a bit dead, but doubtless accurate. I haven't heard the organ in situ for over thirty years.

But my main gripe was hearing Sara what's-her-face describe it as a Hamilton organ (she was introducing the organ voicer from "Hamiltons". She then fluffed to "Hamilton's Organist" before finally getting it right).

And here's the problem. I stopped - and I mean - stopped listening to Radio 3 in 1992 when it was vandalised by Kenyon. I make an exception for Choral Evensong and that is the only programme I hear, UNLESS there is something absolutely special such as this concert. And EVERY time I bring myself to listen I am infuriated by the amateurism and sloppiness of these wretched scriptless hapless so-called presenters. Oh how Cormac Rigby/Peter Barker/Tony Scotland would hate what we have now.

Incidentally, took me a while to find this thread. Shouldn't the title be RFH organ, or am I finally going senile...?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mw963 View Post
                    But my main gripe was hearing Sara what's-her-face describe it as a Hamilton organ (she was introducing the organ voicer from "Hamiltons". She then fluffed to "Hamilton's Organist" before finally getting it right).

And here's the problem.
                    I did listen and thought there were some great things in it.
                    Not too impressed by Max's piece though, seemed a bit predictable to my ears

I thought William McVicker was (as always ) really good in the interval feature

BUT

That's hardly a gripe worth complaining about is it?
                    Nothing to say about the MUSIC ?????
                    I'll ask Andy if he minded if you like

I think the thread title probably needs a change though

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

When I used to go to RFH concerts with the organ in use - many years ago - I could never decide if there was a glass wall behind the organ allowing one to see the view behind the RFH (It was normally in the evening, so it was dark outside).

I did listen to the first half - very enjoyable (even if the Bach wasn't HIP ), especially the Midsummer Night's Dream. That last note was amazing - an 'is it there or not' sound. & the trumpet & organ concerto - a re-write of a re-write.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                        When I used to go to RFH concerts with the organ in use - many years ago - I could never decide if there was a glass wall behind the organ allowing one to see the view behind the RFH (It was normally in the evening, so it was dark outside).
                        That's interesting, as it always was a solid wall at the back
                        (there's a corridor and dressing rooms etc so no windows at all)

Comment

• mw963
                          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

Nothing to say about the MUSIC ?????
                          Ah, experience on this website tells me that there are plenty of enlightened "experts" here who wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested in what a mere mortal like myself thought of it..... other of course to disagree and - occasionally - patronise!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mw963 View Post
                            Ah, experience on this website tells me that there are plenty of enlightened "experts" here who wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested in what a mere mortal like myself thought of it..... other of course to disagree and - occasionally - patronise!
                            But what did you think about the music ?
                            It's all right, it might be an organ concert BUT it's not CE

Comment

• edashtav
                              • Jul 2012

I've started to listen on iPlayer. What turns a concert into a Gala: arrangements? The organ sounded suitably French in the Gigout travesty and I enjoyed Scott's Bach - back to the 50s in style ( a period before Hippies).

I have vestigial memories of listening to early broadcasts of the RFH organ with my (parish organist) father fulminating about the traitor: Ralph Downes. My Dad was in the other Ralph's Romantic camp.

The refurbished organ sounded much as I expected: bright, clear and colourful.

Comment

Working...
                              X