X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rover_KE
    • Mar 2011

New World Symphony - the cor anglais solo

I have only ever seen this performed once, in a performance by the Royal Liverpool Phil.

After the second movement I noticed that the cor anglais soloist sat holding his instrument at his own desk and never played another note. I didn't notice him during the first movement but I bet he didn't play a note in that one, either.

Is this standard practice?

Is there anything special about that part that your average oboist couldn't play with his eyes shut?

Rover
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

Mysterious. In Dvorak's score the 2nd oboe is directed to take cor anglais where required. It's surprising that an orchestra would pay an extra player just for the slow movement.

It's a long and exposed solo, not in a natural key for the instrument, and if I were an orchestral player I would certainly not regard it as a piece of cake.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rover_KE View Post
      I have only ever seen this performed once, in a performance by the Royal Liverpool Phil.

After the second movement I noticed that the cor anglais soloist sat holding his instrument at his own desk and never played another note. I didn't notice him during the first movement but I bet he didn't play a note in that one, either.

Is this standard practice?

Is there anything special about that part that your average oboist couldn't play with his eyes shut?

Rover
      This made me think a bit - not so much about the music, but more about musician's pay. Don't the members of the RLPO get a salary? That might not explain much, but my understanding from bygone ages was that some civic orchestras, such as the RLPO, did offer a salary, rather than (only) payment per performance. Obviously for infrequently used instruments (I remember once a mandolin - probably Hugo D'Alton), pay per performance would be more appropriate, but I was under the impression that regular orchestra members of the RLPO were salaried. The player in question might also have been needed in other pieces in the concert. Another possibility is that the conductor particularly wanted one player to do the well known solo.

[Isn't this actually in the wrong place?]

Comment

• Cellini

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

[Isn't this actually in the wrong place?]
        Only if he's miscounted the bars and is a bar or two out ...

Usually the London orchestras would be paid per rehearsal/concert - but the provincial orchestras would be on a salary as would the BBC orchestras.

And yes, sometimes a player will only play one bit in the whole concert. Not easy as you have to sit there doing nothing and getting nervous, and you are not warmed up. (I'm being kind to Rover_KE as he's a new member - please note ff. Normally I would go for the jugler regarding the "piece of cake" remark!!) (I hope that's enough silly whatsits ...)

P.S. Nothing in music is "a piece of cake" and even turning up in the right place can stretch my abilities. like when I turned up at the RFH and thought it quiet. Then I checked and realised it was in the Barbican!! I still made it just in time for the rehearsal. Oh what fun we had in those far off days before the turn of the century. DON'T ask which century ...
        Last edited by Guest; 10-03-11, 14:24.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

Cellini
          This talk of fees reminds me of the old chestnut

Q What's the difference between an oboe and an oboe d'amore?

A Half a guinea a night!

Bws.
          Ferret

Comment

• Cellini

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
            Cellini
            This talk of fees reminds me of the old chestnut

Q What's the difference between an oboe and an oboe d'amore?

A Half a guinea a night!

Bws.
            Ferret
            I remember John Georgiadis (then leader of the CBSO, i.e. a few centuries ago) telling kids in a school concert that to recognize a cor anglais just look for the bulge - like an egg coming out ... the things we told kids then, we would get arrested now! I got my own back on John though, I swapped his chair for a tiny tots chair, so when he came on he had a problem.

Oh dear, its all such childish stuff, innit!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

Cellini

I like childish stuff!

Incidentally, that cor anglais theme in the New World has a slightly irritating association in my mind. When I was at school, our music Club had a visit from a very large lady contralto in black who sang a song called "Going Home" based upon it, very slowly and mournfully . I see this uncomfortable vision whenever I hear it.
              This was long before the stage musical called " Summer Song" which was a sort of Dvorak Song of Norway, only worse!

Comment

• umslopogaas
                • Nov 2010

Post 6 Cellini

John Georgiadis must have passed that story on to Gerard Hoffnung, his illustration of the Cor Anglais has a happy looking player with a fresh egg on the ground just under his instrument, with the other members of the wind section looking on in some consternation. Priceless.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                  Post 6 Cellini

John Georgiadis must have passed that story on to Gerard Hoffnung, his illustration of the Cor Anglais has a happy looking player with a fresh egg on the ground just under his instrument, with the other members of the wind section looking on in some consternation. Priceless.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Cellini

Wonderfull!!

Comment

• Keraulophone
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                      a sort of Dvorak Song of Norway, only worse!
                      No musical could conceivably be worse than 'Song of Norway', at least in the film version (though the original 1940s staging may have been rather better).

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                        No musical could conceivably be worse than 'Song of Norway', at least in the film version (though the original 1940s staging may have been rather better).
                        I can think of plenty, but it is a matter of individual taste.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                          • Nov 2010

The French reaction to Elgar:-

Cor Anglais!

I'll fetch me coat......
                          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                          X