• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Lully is CotW

I'm sure it will not have escaped the notice of EMS fans that Lully is Composer of the Week. Today's episode...which I heard in the car...was all stage works, which sounded most exuberant and humorous. Must have been a big (indirect) influence on Purcell.
  • Mattbod

I am sure he has been done before. I guess another repeat like the recent John Williams series...

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... there is already a Thread on this : on the "Composer of the Week" page.

Perhaps the Hosts could merge these threads.

I think Lully's influence on Purcell was pretty direct! The Chorus of Freezing People from Isis [1677] clearly influenced Purcell's Genius of the Cold in King Arthur [1691]...

Comment

• Mattbod

Oh no they say that this series is new. I must have heard a fairly recent programme on him on the EMS. I know he died from gangrene after stabbing himself in the foot with a conducting stick!

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

My original post was not to start a Lully thread here, merely to alert Early Music buffs that Lully was CotW. So that pert of the Forum seems the best place to carry on the discussion.

Comment

Working...
          X