How can we get them to re-instate twice weekly EMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benstudent
    • Sep 2024

How can we get them to re-instate twice weekly EMS?

The powers that be, that is...
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by benstudent View Post
    The powers that be, that is...
    Hello, Ben - welcome

Um, possibly by getting one power to overrule another power?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Welcome to the Forum and to the EMS Board.

The answer is, I am afraid (as far as I can see), ‘you can’t’.

As it is being discussed in a number of other threads, BBC had ceased to be an institution that offers programmes that are produced by professionals, that offers its audience the pleasure of discovering and understanding something new. Instead, it has become a place where everybody is invited to show him/herself off to the world (as their rights, almost). This is now regarded as the most important function of TV and radio.

Let’s hope (though I’m not holding my breath) that the Sunday programme will not be turned into something like Baroque on Sunday: Tell Us What You Like. And if ever it comes to this, I sincerely hope that neither Catherine nor Lucie will be made to present it.

All the same, do read ‘Contacting the BBC' thread.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

And welcome from me, ben. I've written to the DG complaining about this and things more generally, but no reply as yet.

Are you a practising early musician?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

hello benstudent .... judging by the complete demise of documentary programmes on jazz [Jazz File] you can't
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

A couple of years or so ago I was advised, by someone closely connected with the programme, that Hear and Now was about to be cut back to 90 minutes. This autumn it has been returned to 2 hours as standard. How much campaigning went on behind the scenes I do not know, but the reinstatement does imply that such reductions in coverage of 'niche' areas are not necessarily immutable.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              A couple of years or so ago I was advised, by someone closely connected with the programme, that Hear and Now was about to be cut back to 90 minutes. This autumn it has been returned to 2 hours as standard. How much campaigning went on behind the scenes I do not know, but the reinstatement does imply that such reductions in coverage of 'niche' areas are not necessarily immutable.
              Bryn, what is not yet clear is whether the old 30-minute Pre-Hear programme has been absorbed into Hear & Now (which this coming Saturday is only one hour long).
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Mattbod

Good luck with that... they don't take their listeners views into account.

Comment

Working...
                X