• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Early Music in Cinema

Saturday
    Catherine Bott gives us a whistle-stop A-Z tour of how early music has been featured in mainstream films to both poignant and ironic effect; from Allegri and Albinoni to Zadok and Zoolander.
    Catherine Bott presents an exploration of how early music has featured in mainstream film.

Sunday
    As part of the BBC's Sound of Cinema season, Lucie Skeaping presents a profile of the harpsichord in film scores from the late Fifties to the present day

CD Review
    The programme details are not yet available but I wonder if Andrew has picked this up.
    Argentine sopranist Fagioli scales the high Cs in a jaw-dropping recital of arias penned for the notorious star castrato Caffarelli, whilst Jaroussky explores music written by for his rival Farinelli by their mutual singing-teacher Nicola Porpora.

(I really do not like the term ‘male soprano’ though)

but this should be good.
    11.40am Disc of the Week
    Amore e morte dell'amore: duets from early operas
    Roberta Invernizzi (soprano), Sonia Prina (contralto); Ensemble Claudiana, Luca Pianca.
  • Richard Tarleton

Thanks dover. One I don't expect to feature - in 1948 one of Julian Bream's first professional engagements, aged 14, was playing "La Folía" on the soundtrack of the Ealing Studios film "Saraband for Dead Lovers". Set at the start of the 18th century it's about the tragic story of Sophie Dorothea (Joan Greenwood) who was forced into a loveless marriage with the revolting George, Elector of Hanover (later George 1 of England) - played revoltingly by the excellent Peter Bull - but who formed a doomed attachment to the Swedish Count Konigsmark (Stewart Granger, who else).

As a JB fan I watched it, not a bad film but disappointingly little of JB - guitar music features at an indoor scene and a picnic scene. The main soundtrack is by Alan Rawsthorne. JB plays a guitar of course, not yet having discovered the lute.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Dictat from on high. Film music must infect every R3 programme this weekend. Oh well, I dare say CB and LS will make the best of it. (CB already is...as I write....)

Still reeling from news of impending 50% cut. Hope remaining 50% will not consist of programmes 'specially recorded' by the BBCS. Oh, I just thought, where might the axe fall next????

Comment

• Frances_iom
        • Mar 2007

great program - a 'polite' two fingers to RW and his themes - an intelligent R3 program whose demise being due to it being too demanding on the sought for 'mass' audience

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

A very intelligent programme. Despite her having earned a bob or two singing for film sound-tracks, CB let slip (by accident on purpose) a certain cynicism for the whole thing, I felt. Or did I, reeling from the news of cuts, read more into it than I should have?

Comment

• Black Swan

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
            great program - a 'polite' two fingers to RW and his themes - an intelligent R3 program whose demise being due to it being too demanding on the sought for 'mass' audience
            Maybe Breakfast could be presented as a taped program without presenters? This would lower costs and allow more for relevant, interesting programs such as TEMS.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I thought Andrew McGregor barely concealed a similar cynicism introducing CD Review this morning - words to the effect (and with the stress) of: "and of course we have to play a part in the film music season..."
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

I listened to R3 this morning and have to agree with ardcarp and Cali - but it's the BBC that pay their wages, he who pays the piper, etc.....

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

I thought Andrew McGregor barely concealed a similar cynicism introducing CD Review this morning
                  I caught that one too!

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Maybe Breakfast could be presented as a taped program
                    Yes. In fact just let TTN run on as TTD.

Comment

• Ruhevoll

Saddened about the loss of one EM show. Like Anna, I am a recent convert and each programme always sends me scurrying away to delve into unknown historical worlds - that of Gesualdo and Purcell, for instance.

I shall write to R3 to complain about this via the Complaints section of the BBC site. Might I suggest all who feel likewise do the same, as perhaps they might actually register the disapproval if it is en masse as opposed to a lone voice.

I wonder if CB will make an appearance here, as she has done before, to pass comment on this very grim outcome of 'budget cuts'. On the back of all the license fee money thrown away on management pay, redundancy packages and, oh what was that word, "sweeteners", this really has been a dispiriting week for the R3 devotee.

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

I think CB may have run close to the wind anyway. 'Management' of any sort (health, schools, anything really) has become a class apart and cannot brook any sort of criticism. CB is to be treasured as a Beeb presenter, and I'd hate her to get her head shot off by sticking it above the parapet. Indeed, Ruhevoll, it's up to us to complain.

These pages have information about how to complain to the BBC, with links to the BBC’s Complaints Framework, the BBC’s regulator Ofcom and regular reports about complaints. Watch our short film to learn more about how the BBC responds to your feedback.

...and there's always Feedback;

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Lucie Skeaping presented today's show with a nice touch, and made the valid point that film composers use a harpsichord whenever a vaguely historical feel is needed, however anachronistic it may be. I have to say that many of today's examples were orchestral with a barely audible harpsichord tinkling away.

I am reminded of the brilliant harpsichord music Ilona Sekacz wrote for the Radio 4 serialisation of Tom Jones. Not film music. I know, but noteworthy. Anyone remember it?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                            I have to say that many of today's examples were orchestral with a barely audible harpsichord tinkling away.
                            As shb said on another thread about the film-early music connection:
                            Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
                            It's all very tenuous
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                            X