Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

In a letter of 30/12/81 to a concert promoter, Brahms made it plain that his preference was for "a very good and powerful Bechstein (or American Steinway)." He played a 7 foot Streicher at home, but preferred the latest instruments for performing even his early works in public. That much is clear.

My idea of 'period' Brahms is on the recordings by the Busch quartet and Rudolf Serkin. No heaviness there, and the tempi are often very lively indeed.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      I have not heard any of his chamber works played on insruments set up as he would have known, and written for, them as yet, but fully expect to hear the weight of Brahms's supposed (more like imposed) 'heaviness' lifted from them.
      Do try and catch some of Alexander Melnikov's new Brahms disc tomorrow morning on CD Review. I was extremely impressed and shall be writing about it in another place.
      Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
        Do try and catch some of Alexander Melnikov's new Brahms disc tomorrow morning on CD Review. I was extremely impressed and shall be writing about it in another place.
        I have just written on the CD Review forum, regarding the Melnikov Brahms disc -

If you like Alex: Melnikov with the 1875 Bosendorfer and Brahms - you might also like (as amazon say... ) :

Brahms: Horn Trio Op.40; Violin Sonata Op.78; 7 Fantasien Op.116 (Isabelle Faust / Alexander Melnikov / Teunis van der Zwart) with the same instrument, on harmonia mundi. Well, I've just ordered a copy, anyway...
        ... but I look forward to what il Grand' Inquisitore has to say...

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
          He played a 7 foot Streicher at home
          Size isn't everything

Cellini, your earlier comments aren't doing a very good job of persuading me to like Brahms.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            I have just written on the CD Review forum, regarding the Melnikov Brahms disc -

... but I look forward to what il Grand' Inquisitore has to say...
            Vinteuil, thanks for reminding me of this disc which escaped my clutches when it first came out. I ordered a copy having read your recommendation and am now enjoying it very much.

Comment

Working...
            X