• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
    ...and, what is worse, Catholic monophony.
    Is there a joke there I'm not getting?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
      Sprung rhythm? I thought that was Gerard Manley Hopkins!
      It is. The expression was taken up by Tippett scholars to describe the dancing interplay between 2 and 3 beat rhythms in his works of the 1940s and '50s. Nowadays applied to any Music with an element of "spring in its step". (With Bach, I prefer to call it "Swing".)
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

I think VC was (? creatively mis-?)quoting a comment (??by Oscar Wilde??).

"Vatican monophony" led me to imagine a Board game based on buying property in the Vatican City. ("Go to Hell. Go straight to Hell. Do not pass 'Go'. Do not collect £100")

Comment

• aeolium
          • Nov 2010

I very much enjoyed the concert with readings last night from St George's Bristol focussing on the rivalry and different qualities of Cuzzoni and Faustina in early C18 London. Though much of the music was by Handel, there were also interesting examples from Porpora and Hasse (I liked the obbligato oboe in the Porpora aria). The readings were well interpolated, though perhaps an unfortunate effect of using them was that there was no information about the music to be performed. It was an interesting idea to have two singers in the roles of Cuzzoni and Faustina, and to conclude the concert with a duet which originally featured both of the famous singers. I would like to know how it came across to anyone in the audience, if any of our Forum Bristolians were present.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

BrrrrrBrrrrrBaroque spspspwing....Brrrr....Brrrr.....afraid R3 picked the wrong year.....
            bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
              BrrrrrBrrrrrBaroque spspspwing....Brrrr....Brrrr.....afraid R3 picked the wrong year.....
              Yes indeed - between a baroque and a hard place

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

bong ching

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Not necessarily. When do the Frost Fairs start?

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
                    Late Member
                    • Dec 2010

I think it's a reference to a comment by Thomas Beecham that Bach had 'too much counterpoint - and, what is worse, Protestant counterpoint'. Or words to that effect.
                    My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Miles Coverdale View Post
                      I think it's a reference to a comment by Thomas Beecham that Bach had 'too much counterpoint - and, what is worse, Protestant counterpoint'. Or words to that effect.
                      Word perfect, Mr Coverdale (reported by Neville Cardus).

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Too much of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt4PBBum_W8 leading to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFBdWdnUjFg

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

I had a ticket for Mahan Esfahani's performance of Goldberg Variations last night but couldn't go in the end and had to make do with listening to the R3 broacast. The harpsichord and his use of it sounded magnificent. I've tended to the Beecham wing of harpsichord views until now but this was a Damascene moment for me. Wonder what others think (but may not reply soon as I'm away for a few days now).

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            Wonder what others think (but may not reply soon as I'm away for a few days now).
                            I enjoyed it. I'd like to hear from experts about repeats, or lack of them - it's a very different experience rattling through the work like this to listening to a full-length version with repeats at home in a darkened room on CD . There's an interesting note on performing practice by Angela Hewitt on her CD (I've also heard her perform it live) - AH generally performs it without repeats but recorded it with - and another in my David Wright recording on harpsichord, who says "I have endeavoured to observe all repeats where there are second-time bars, so as to include every note Bach wrote in this piece", and he has a bit more to say as well.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              The Spanish Golden Age

First broadcast:
                              Thursday 28 March 2013

"The 16th century saw an extraordinary explosion of creativity in Spain, in literature, painting and music. Tom Service discusses the circumstances which brought about this Spanish Golden Age with Nandini Das and Andrew Lawrence King."

Rather (pen)insular?
                              Unfortunately not broadcast tonight - not the concert, at least. Will the interval discussion be broadcast anyway, even though it's not relevant to the music being broadcast now?

I can't help feeling that the Beeb could have found some Spanish Baroque music to broadcast, rather than the Franck & MacMillan.

Comment

• doversoul1
                                Ex Member
                                • Dec 2010

What has happened to this? I’m sure this was advertised by Radio 3 itself to be broadcast .

Thursday 28 March
                                11.45am Behind the Scenes with BBC Radio 3
                                6pm BBC Radio 3′s A Taste of the Baroque Chloe Aridjis
                                7.30pm Radio 3 Live in Concert The Harp Consort

Comment

Working...
                                X