X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
    There are for me quite a lot of works which I avoid listening to, in order to avoid over-exposure.
    And: listening to the so-called lesser composers gives you an idea why some composers are "better" than others.
    Standing permanently at the summit of mountains is boring: it causes loss of the perspective you get standing in the valleys.
    wise words.
    When I was studying English at University I asked why we only studied literature of an (apparently) exceptional quality, and whether there would be value in looking at other literature to gain insight and perspective.
    I didn't get an answer.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• JFLL
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      Perhaps you could explain why you think that 1770 - 1914 represents a 'golden age' for music? Rather than making generalisations?
      I did, by mentioning many of its great composers. It's partly about numbers. You have countered with a single name from the 17th century. Perhaps you can tell me which of those 19th-century composers you think it’s ‘pure nonsense’ to call ‘great’ (itself a whacking generalization, btw), because after all it’s you who are denying the very widely- held view.

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

I don’t think you can judge the value of Baroque music by the same criteria as you do Beethoven’s works, since Baroque music has not yet arrived at the stage where Beethoven composed his music. It is a different kind of music. If you don't value what Baroque music is, that's fine.

It isn’t the question of if some music is greater than others by whatever the standard, but it is the question of how much Radio 3 should spend its time representing the already very widely-held view at the expense of the less widely-held views.

Comment

• aeolium
          • Nov 2010

It isn’t the question of if some music is greater than others by whatever the standard, but it is the question of how much Radio 3 should spend its time representing the already very widely-held view at the expense of the less widely-held views.

What's more, how can you have a(n informed) view about a composer's works if you never hear them?

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Simply naming some composers doesn't explain why that period rather than any other should be labelled a 'golden age'. And I didn't say that calling them 'great' was pure nonsense - just the assertion that that period (rather broad to be considered a single 'period' really) rather than any other was a 'golden age'.

Donald Mcleod in his introduction to CotW on Monday said something along the lines that if you asked orchestral players who was the greatest composer (& he commented that it was an impossible question) the consensus would be Bach.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

just the assertion that that period (rather broad to be considered a single 'period' really) rather than any other was a 'golden age'.
              The Spanish Golden Age

First broadcast:
              Thursday 28 March 2013

"The 16th century saw an extraordinary explosion of creativity in Spain, in literature, painting and music. Tom Service discusses the circumstances which brought about this Spanish Golden Age with Nandini Das and Andrew Lawrence King."

Rather (pen)insular?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Must try & listen (it will require juggling dinner time).

Comment

• Vile Consort
                  • Nov 2010

Of course 1770 - 1914 was a Golden Age.

It complements the Golden Ages of 1150 - 1300, 1300 - 1500, 1500 -1770 and 1914 - present.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post

It complements the Golden Ages of 1150 - 1300, 1300 - 1500, 1500 -1770 and 1914 - present.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Roehre

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

So what was wrong with the music before 1150?

A friend of mine always said that it was downhill after the 13th century (which didn't stop him listening to later stuff, although he drew the line at anything post-1750)

Comment

• Vile Consort
                            • Nov 2010

So what was wrong with the music before 1150?

A friend of mine always said that it was downhill after the 13th century (which didn't stop him listening to later stuff, although he drew the line at anything post-1750)
                            Too much monophony - and, what is worse, Catholic monophony.

Comment

• doversoul1
                              Ex Member
                              • Dec 2010

Let’s not bother with what The Golden Age is. Anybody can call any time in history that for their own reasons. Also, I don’t think we can seriously argue against the fact that Beethoven is the name that represents classical music in the wider world, and I’m sure experts can explain why. The point we should stick to is that this is no excuse / reason for Radio 3 to give Beethoven and the composers of the similar status automatically the priority.

I don’t know what Radio 3, or those who concocted up all those gimmicks think but I think it is rather nice.

With winter still refusing to end, Radio 3's Baroque Spring is proving more welcome than anyone could have anticipated. The gently sprung rhythms of this all-Bach concert at St George's, given by the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment under the direction of John Butt, were as uplifting as warm sunshine [...]
                              Butt's virtuosity was almost nonchalant and, throughout the evening, all his vast authority was imparted with a humility worthy of Bach himself, says Rian Evans

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                                ...The gently sprung rhythms of this all-Bach concert...
                                Sprung rhythm? I thought that was Gerard Manley Hopkins!

Comment

Working...
                                X