• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I rather enjoyed

Bach's major secular cantata no. 206, written for the birthday of Elector Friedrich August III.

chosen by Rob Cowan on Sunday Morning. It's not one I knew, but it's frightfully jolly, the SATB soloists representing four rivers all praising up August III. The tenor solo was a real beast, sung here incredibly well, as were all the other arias. Helmut Rilling may not be HIPP, exactly, but he doesn't arf get his band playing well...sort of pre-HIPP really.

From my tiny smattering of German, the text sounded pretty dire, so it's probably best to listen in blissful ignorance...and hope no-one does an English version.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

This is one of three written for the Elector & his family that Bach re-used chunks from for the Christmas Oratorio.

Comment

• aeolium
        • Nov 2010

Like the weather outside, Radio3’s Baroque Spring seems to have gone back to winter hibernation. Through the Night has good offerings but the daytime schedule, except for CoW and one recorded opera on Thursday afternoon (with no information other than the cast), there is no sign of Baroque anywhere.
        I'm not sure that's entirely fair, doversoul. There's still quite a bit in the magazine programmes e.g. Breakfast, Sunday Morning and Essential Classics, though of course you have to wade through the playlists, and you may not be in the habit of listening to them anyway. There's the BaL, the Sunday Concert and the CotW you mentioned. There's got to be some time for other music. I was quite glad to hear the Arcanto Quartet playing Haydn and Brahms string quartets yesterday lunchtime and look forward to a concert of string trios tonight (and the afternoon series featuring Tippett works, as he has suffered some broadcasting neglect in recent times).

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Actually, I too am quite pleased not to have total Baroque immersion. I think the Beeb is wise not to repeat the 'Bach week' experience...it sort of debases the currency.

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
            I'm not sure that's entirely fair, doversoul. There's still quite a bit in the magazine programmes e.g. Breakfast, Sunday Morning and Essential Classics, though of course you have to wade through the playlists, and you may not be in the habit of listening to them anyway. There's the BaL, the Sunday Concert and the CotW you mentioned. There's got to be some time for other music. I was quite glad to hear the Arcanto Quartet playing Haydn and Brahms string quartets yesterday lunchtime and look forward to a concert of string trios tonight (and the afternoon series featuring Tippett works, as he has suffered some broadcasting neglect in recent times).
            I’m afraid I am a creature of prejudice and subjective views, especially when it comes to something I like, like early music

I agree that there are a few more Baroque items scattered through each day than usual but if it is announced as a feature, I’d expect at least a couple of concerts to be on offer. I hoped to find something on Sunday Morning but there was no playlist. Yes, I could check afterward and go to iPlayer but that’s not the point. I don’t listen to Breakfast and In Tune for various reasons and even there is something interesting, going back on iPlayer just to that point isn’t something I do.

Still, I suppose it is much better than Baroque being –fested like poor Schubert and Mozart.

Incidentally, this week’s guest on Essential Classic is most interesting. I caught his interview with Rob by chance and had/have no idea who he was/is bur he expressed his thoughts with great care (quite an antidote to a chat) and I found his views on music illuminating.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
              Incidentally, this week’s guest on Essential Classic is most interesting. I caught his interview with Rob by chance and had/have no idea who he was/is bur he expressed his thoughts with great care (quite an antidote to a chat) and I found his views on music illuminating.
              This is him: Kevin Coates http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/exhib.../kevin-coates/

Fascinating 'Renaissance' man - his recording with his wife ("Duo Vinaccia") of the Telemann Bb Sonata, played today, was very pleasant.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                Actually, I too am quite pleased not to have total Baroque immersion. I think the Beeb is wise not to repeat the 'Bach week' experience...it sort of debases the currency.

Originally posted by doversoul
                it is much better than Baroque being –fested like poor Schubert and Mozart.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

...though I have a feeling there is going to be some sort of continuous phone-in Baroque tomorrow (Friday 15th) to do with Comic Relief???

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    This is him: Kevin Coates http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/exhib.../kevin-coates/
                    Fascinating 'Renaissance' man - his recording with his wife ("Duo Vinaccia") of the Telemann Bb Sonata, played today, was very pleasant.
                    The bits I have caught have been so interesting, as is his voice, somehow so terribly soothing isn't it?
                    I also like his works in silver and gold very much. I would like to suggest him to present an edition of Saturday Classics.

Comment

• doversoul1
                      Ex Member
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      ...though I have a feeling there is going to be some sort of continuous phone-in Baroque tomorrow (Friday 15th) to do with Comic Relief???
                      I’d keep well away from Radio3 tomorrow (Friday). I haven’t a heart to refer to the details.

However, like the weather outside, spring has come back/will be coming back.

Afternoon on 3 Monday 18 – Thursday 21

Penny Gore () this week highlights Baroque music making from around Europe.
                      There's a focus on the seldom-performed dramatic oratorios heard in eighteenth century Naples, Rome and Venice including the first performance in modern times of Pergolesi's 'Seven Words,' Porpora's Vespers and Vivaldi's Juditha Triumphans, commissioned to celebrate the victory of the Republic of Venice over the Turks during the siege of Corfu in 1716 and first performed by the girls of a Venetian orphanage.
                      There will also be a chance to hear Johan Helmich Roman's 'Wedding Music,' the Swedish equivalent of Handel's Firework's Music - written for performance at Drottningholm Palace in 1744 and settings of the Magnificat by Jan Zelenka, Johann Kuhnau - Johann Sebastian Bach's predecessor at St Thomas' church Leipzig - and by the great master himself, all performed by the Bach Collegium of Japan directed by Masaaki Suzuki.

Plus some good things on TTN.
                      Last edited by doversoul1; 14-03-13, 22:23.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

I must say the BBC has got it just abou right this time. I even enjoyed Roger Norrington and the Fairy Queen on COTW today.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Latest on Facebook - 'Ruby' writes:

"I'm a 3 and a half month old Jack Russell - I love your channel (esp when I get hyper) - the whistle for 'Baroque time' is ace!!! x "
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

"I'm a 3 and a half month old Jack Russell - I love your channel (esp when I get hyper) - the whistle for 'Baroque time' is ace!!! x "
                            God it's rough

(Roughghgh roughghgh)
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post

It's true then; Radio 3 really has gone to the dogs.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                                It's true then; Radio 3 really has gone to the dogs.
                                It certainly had this morning. I switched on just after 7.15 to find the Baroque Bites had been stitched together and it was awful to be subjected to such unfunny, raucous, juvenile attempts to make classical music/baroque amusing at that time of the morning. It was announced more would follow in Essential Classics. I assume that as Red Nose Day is a BBC production R3 had no say in the matter but, believe me, I don't even think their target audience of 8 year olds would have found it funny (or even understand it) It really made me shudder over my cup of tea!

Comment

Working...
                                X