• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Music for Advent and Hans-Leo Hassler

Saturday
    Lucie Skeaping introduces a programme of sacred choral music by the German composer Hans-Leo Hassler, who died 400 years ago this year. The music was specially recorded for the programme by the BBC Singers, conducted by Andrew Griffiths.[…]
    Lucie Skeaping introduces sacred choral music by German composer Hans-Leo Hassler.

There are two organ works too…

Sunday
    On the first Sunday of Advent, Catherine Bott introduces a selection of early music for the Advent season. Including music from Bach, Charpentier and Praetorius and lesser known composers Vaclav Karel Holan Rovensky and Thomas Stoltzer.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p2q1z

CD Review
    Ah…. Hidden under (in the?) Cage

11.30am Cecilia Bartoli Interview
    Mission
    STEFFANI: (Excerpts from the operas)
    Cecilia Bartoli (mezzo-soprano), I Barocchisti, Diego Fasolis (conductor)
    DECCA 4784732 (CD + book)

Apologies for repeating myself but this is rather good.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

[ed.] Cecilia Bartoli’s concert at Barbican, singing Steffani.
    Cecilia Bartoli has given composer's Agostino Steffani reputation a boost and was on strong form tonight, writes George Hall
    Last edited by doversoul1; 30-11-12, 22:15.
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    Saturday
    Lucie Skeaping introduces a programme of sacred choral music by the German composer Hans-Leo Hassler, who died 400 years ago this year. The music was specially recorded for the programme by the BBC Singers, conducted by Andrew Griffiths.[…]
    I don't know much Hassler, but what I do know (one CD) I really like. I bought an East German Eterna LP in Leipzig about 40 years ago based entirely on the title that appealed to me: "Lustgarten neuer teutscher Gesang" roughly "Pleasure Garden New German Song". It became a bit of a favourite of mine and I bought the CD as soon as I noticed it was available.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

thank you doversoul i thought the Steffani on CD Review was wonderful, and again was impressed by Ms Bartoli's independence of mind and approach .... the singing i find beyond words ... the little song with lute ohhhhh!
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

divine innit
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

gurnemanz
          Hans-Leo Hassler
          Hans Leo Hassler: Aus tieffer Noth. Etcetera: KTC1409. Buy 2 CDs online. Currende, Erik van Nevel

the performer

Worth dropping a hint for the stocking?

Calum
          It is, innit. Very glad that you caught the interview. Could have been a whole lot longer.
          I expect you already know but just in case:

26th December 18:00
          ARTE LIVE will broadcast Mission live from Versailles.
          (I may have got this wrong. Can’t trust Google translate)
          Last edited by doversoul1; 01-12-12, 22:37.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Loved the Sunday show, and I enjoy CB's great gift for sounding convincing when announcing things in other languages. Truly impressive this week...any chance of giving Rob Cowan a lesson or two? It was good to hear the work of some 'lesser' composers...I enjoyed them all except that rather simple and repetitive piece (can't remember who wrote that) which, after a while, I just wanted to stop. As CB said, it would be quite easy to have devoted the whole programme to Bach. Good to give Zelenka an outing. Whilst he was (I think) a slightly older contemporary of Bach, his music seems to have a certain galanterie.
            Last edited by ardcarp; 03-12-12, 18:42.

Comment

• Simon

Thanks for memos. Agree with all the positives above!

Comment

Working...
              X