• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Boston Early Music Festival and Tatini

Saturday
    Catherine Bott presents highlights from six concerts recorded at the 2011 Boston Early Music Festival - arguably the most important and influential early music event in the world. The programme includes performances by lutenist Paul O'Dette, harpsichordists Kristian Bezuidenhout and Luca Guglielmi, and ensembles such as Quicksilver, Solamenti Naturale and Les Voix Baroques, in music by Aquila, Bach, Buxtehude, Castello and Louis Couperin alongside some lively traditional music from Hungary

Sunday
    'One night I dreamed I had made a pact with the devil; he was my servant and anticipated my every wish. I had the idea of giving him my violin to see if he might play me some pretty tunes...'. Lucie Skeaping explores the life and works of Giuseppe Tartini, one of the great violin virtuosos of the 18th century and composer of one of its most celebrated and demonic instrumental works, yet also of some of its sweetest melodies.
    Lucie Skeaping explores the life and works of composer and violinist Giuseppe Tartini.

I’m sure I head a programme about Tatini before but this must be a new version.

CD Review
    With Andrew McGregor. Including Building a Library: Debussy: Images for orchestra.

9.05 am
    CORELLI’s Concerto Grossi peformed by The Avison Ensemble, Pavlo Beznosiuk (director and violin)

Sound the Trumpet: Alison Balsom with The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock, Lucy Crowe and Iestyn Davies

More Iestyn Davies
    PURCELL and HUMFREY: with James Gilchrist (tenor), David Stout (baritone), Neal Davies (bass), Choir of St John’s College Cambridge, St John’s Sinfonia, Andrew Nethsingha (conductor)

Patricia Petibon with, La Cetra Vocal Ensemble, La Cetra Baroque Orchestra Basel, Andrea Marcon (conductor): HANDEL, CHARPENTIER and more

AND
    10.20am Andrew reviews three rare French operas written for Paris at the turn of the 19th century
    J.C. BACH, CATEL (Le Concert Spirituel, Herve Niquet), and R. KREUTZER.

With all this, I shall forgive Andrew for choosing for the Disc of the Week The Well-Tempered Clavier on the piano (by the way, where is Cecilia Bartoli’s Agostino Steffani? )
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I can definitely recommend the first half hour of CD review, as flagged up by doversoul, when it becomes available on i-player. My only criticism of the John's College performance of Purcell's so-called Bell Anthem is that the choir sounded miles away. OK they don't have a huge part to play cf the soloists, but I don't think this represents how you would hear it in the flesh.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

The traditional Hungarian stuff on EMS today was fab.....well, for me anyway !
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        The traditional Hungarian stuff on EMS today was fab.....well, for me anyway !
        For me, too. I was more than half expected to hear something like L’Arpeggiata gone too far but this was very classy. I’m not sure if describing it classy is a compliment when the group was playing what was meant to be traditional folk music but I thought it was very good indeed.

Dear Catherine
        Now you publicly mentioned Niobe, Regina di Tebe you will have to have a programme about the opera. Highlights will do fine. Maybe you could compare and contrast the Boston production with the Covent Garden one.

CD Review
        As ardcarp says, the first half an hour was most enjoyable. The three new opera recordings… Well, Andrew did say these were not rediscovered (can you re-discover forgotten works for the first time?) masterpieces but I found it interesting to hear them as it made me think what makes great works great. Did Andrew say these were projects supported by some research institution?

JC Bach’s arias can be quite enjoyable on this (how ro you do 'this'?)http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Virgin/6945640
        but it doesn't make me seriously want to hear an entire opera.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

The Hungarian stuff certainly puts me in mind a bit of the Ensemble Caprice/ baroque gypsies/Telemann album, which is great.....
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Catherine Bott
            • Mar 2012

I'd love to feature Niobe - but we can only do that if we get access to the recording! I'll check it out.

Comment

Working...
            X