• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Kimberly Marshall and Jan Ladislav Dussek

Saturday
    Catherine Bott meets American organist Kimberly Marshall and introduces highlights from a concert she gave in London earlier this year.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n6qw2

Works by Louis Marchand, Arnolt Schlick, and Bach (J.S.)

Sunday
    Jan Ladislav Dussek was a Bohemian composer and pianist of the late 18th Century. He was the first great touring piano virtuoso paving the way for the likes of Franz Liszt. It was Dussek who first thought of playing the piano sideways on to the audience - the better to show off his noble profile.
    Lucie Skeaping looks back on his life and music - much of which seems to anticipate the innovations and ideas of Beethoven and Schubert

Lucie Skeaping explores the life and music of composer and pianist Jan Ladislav Dussek.

One of the performers is Andreas Staier. I hope he is playing some interesting early piano.
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

I hope that Catherine Bott also reads other posts in this sub forum - an excellent programme with Dr Marshall - I realise that Wright has pronounced an anathema on organ recitals unless a la mode Liberace but as Dr Marshall pointed out organs go back 2 millenia and much music predates Bach by several centuries - why then do we hear so little - though I would not want to do CB or her copresenter out of a job but judging from Dr Marshall's intros + conversation she would make an excellent guest presenter on any programme devoted to early organ music

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
      [T]hough I would not want to do CB or her copresenter out of a job but judging from Dr Marshall's intros + conversation she would make an excellent guest presenter on any programme devoted to early organ music
      And she could play a bit too...most entertaining!

Getting to be too many star organists called Marshall though??
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

Please, Dr Marshall, could you issue your performance on CDs? All these, including The First Printed Organ Music, only as download.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

but judging from Dr Marshall's intros + conversation she would make an excellent guest presenter on any programme devoted to early organ music
          ...about one gig every ten years then!

The stuff about Marchand was interesting.

Comment

• decantor
            • Dec 2010

(Only just noticed this thread)........ Yes, this programme was excellent sauce for my Saturday lunch. Both Marchand and Schlick were fascinating: such pure music, innocent but not naive.

It brought to mind the time, 30-odd years past, when an organist colleague had a bound volume of such music, which he would leave on the bench for me to toy with if ever I had time for the organ. When he retired, he took the volume with him, of course. The only title I could recall last weekend was Estampie, coupled with Robertsbridge (which, wearing a different hat, I associated with cricket bats - hence the recollection). So I googled it, and whooped with joy to find this --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QF4BCKYZxc --- such muscular music that I always felt it should be played with fists rather than fingers.

So where could I buy a score? In the comments under the YouTube video was the answer, though (alas!) it appears to be available only in USA at vast expense ($48.75). But it brought me full circle: who had edited the edition but........ Kimberley Marshall!

Comment

• David-G
              • Mar 2012

No comments on Dussek? I enjoyed Sunday's programme very much; both the music itself, and the context as presented by Lucie Skeaping. I am amazed that I have never been consciously aware of the existence of this composer. I am now minded to acquire the Andreas Staier CDs so that I can listen to Dussek more extensively. Does anyone know if there was any relation between Dussek the composer and Mozart's Prague friends the Dusseks?

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Dussek. One of the 'greats' who was unfortunate enough to be contemporaneous with even greater 'greats'. Indeed a lovely programme.

I am often disappointed that The Early Music Show section of this Forum (despite doversoul's sterling efforts) does not elicit the same volume of correspondence as , say, The Choir. But it's clearly such a damn good programme...with ditto presenters...that everyone's totally satisfied with it and feels comment to be unnecessary!

Comment

• doversoul1
                  Ex Member
                  • Dec 2010

ardcarp
                  But it's clearly such a damn good programme...with ditto presenters...that everyone's totally satisfied with it and feels comment to be unnecessary!
                  No news is good news? Let’s hope the lack of replies won’t make ff think the board is not worth keeping.

Comment

• David-G
                    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                    Dussek. One of the 'greats' who was unfortunate enough to be contemporaneous with even greater 'greats'. Indeed a lovely programme.
                    It's interesting though to compare Dussek's reputation with others who were unfortunate enough to be contemporaneous with even greater 'greats'. A couple of weeks ago "Composer of the Week" featured Chopin and Field. I only heard small bits of these programmes - so this may not be a fair comment, in which case forgive me - but my impression is that Dussek is a much more interesting composer than Field. But Field is "well known" - or at least, I have heard of him, and CoW features him - while I had never even heard of Dussek. Maybe if Dussek had invented the Nocturne, their reputations would be reversed.

Comment

Working...
                    X