• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

René Jacobs on Essential Classics

ARTIST OF THE WEEK René Jacobs

Not sure how this works but some wonderful recordings are scattered throughout the week. Plus, on today’s programme, Andrew Manze playing one of Biber’s The Rosary Sonatas. I wish he hadn’t gone off conducting orchestras.
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

I wish Rene Jacobs hadn't gone on to conducting orchestras & denied us his fine countertenor voice.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gamba View Post
      I wish Rene Jacobs hadn't gone on to conducting orchestras & denied us his fine countertenor voice.
      I suppose he was thinking ahead and voices don't tend to improve towards the end of a career. He is now 66.
      Andrew Manze playing one of Biber’s The Rosary Sonatas
      Altogether now: Just ONE sonata ... I rather gathered that he's slightly miffed the HIPP enthusiasts by indicating that he finds the wider repertoire available to him as a conductor more satisfying
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

That was a horrible performance of Pergolesi's Stabat Mater this morning - they all sounded out of tune and I had to put Kirkby and Bowman on to soothe my ears !

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Any links to when he/his choices were on? I'd love to hear them but I don't think I can plough through three hours' worth every day on the iPlayer!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            That was a horrible performance of Pergolesi's Stabat Mater this morning - they all sounded out of tune and I had to put Kirkby and Bowman on to soothe my ears !

I bought that CD, I don't like RJ's contribution but it's a cracking performance from the treble soloist I think A couple of the movements are heart-stopping (for the right reasons)
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
              Any links to when he/his choices were on? I'd love to hear them but I don't think I can plough through three hours' worth every day on the iPlayer!
              He / his choices weren't, jean - he was just the 'artist of the week' various of whose recordings were played throughout the week. There always seemed to be one at 10am or just after each day....
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

I've just discovered Monday's at 34 minutes in. So is it at the same point every day?

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

I've just discovered Monday's at 34 minutes in. So is it at the same point every day?
                  Check on R3 schedule - gives a rough idea - Enjoyed his Mozart 38.

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

For anyone still searching, it's at 30 mins. in (more or less) on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, 52 mins. in on Thursday. Haven't got to Friday yet.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

For anyone still searching, it's at 30 mins. in (more or less) on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, 52 mins. in on Thursday. Haven't got to Friday yet.
                      32 AND 50

With Sarah Walker. Including Essential Choice. Beethoven: Eroica Variations, Op 35.

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Thanks - I would have missed the Pergolesi at 50.
                        Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        That was a horrible performance of Pergolesi's Stabat Mater this morning...
                        I didn''t think it was 'horrible'. The boy sounded a bit insecure when singing on his own, but isn't that part of the excitement?

Comment

Working...
                        X