• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

La Venexiana and Welsh harp, and more

Saturday
    Lucie Skeaping presents the first of two Early Music Shows this weekend focusing on music from Wales. Today, highlights of a concert of Monteverdi madrigals given by the acclaimed Italian vocal ensemble La Venexiana as part of this year's Gregynog Festival
    Lucie Skeaping presents Monteverdi madrigals performed by La Venexiana at Gregynog Hall.

This is the concert mentioned in this thread.

Sunday
    Catherine Bott looks at the tradition of music making pre-1700 in Wales with a feature on the 17th century Robert ap Huw manuscript - one of the most important collections of Welsh early music. With contributions from Bangor University's Sally Harper, and harpists Bill Taylor and Paul Dooley
    Catherine Bott on the life and work of 17th-century harpist and copyist Robert ap Huw.

Also in CD Review: 9.05
    Handel’s instrumental works, Charpentier and other goodies

Plus Sunday Concert: 2.00
    From this year's City of London Festival, and taking its cue from the festival theme Trading Places With the World, Catherine Bott presents a programme of baroque choral, instrumental and organ music from the cities of the great commercial, economic and trading partnership known as the Hanseatic League. Recorded in St Giles' Church, Cripplegate, London

BBC Singers,
    St James's Baroque,
    Iain Farrington organ,
    David Hill conductor

Baroque choral, instrumental and organ music recorded at the 2012 City of London Festival.
  • JohnSkelton

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    Saturday
    Lucie Skeaping presents the first of two Early Music Shows this weekend focusing on music from Wales. Today, highlights of a concert of Monteverdi madrigals given by the acclaimed Italian vocal ensemble La Venexiana as part of this year's Gregynog Festival
    Lucie Skeaping presents Monteverdi madrigals performed by La Venexiana at Gregynog Hall.

This is the concert mentioned in this thread.
    http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...e-played-on-R3
    Thanks doversoul, I look forward to that. I was disappointed by Les Talens Lyriques / Rousset - didn't seem to take off in the repertoire (and I'm a big admirer of them and him, usually).

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post

Also in CD Review: 9.05
      Handel’s instrumental works, Charpentier and other goodies

... thanks, as ever, doversoul.

Sadly, for me, this is the 'wrong' Charpentier (Gustave rather than Marc-Antoine)

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... thanks, as ever, doversoul.

Sadly, for me, this is the 'wrong' Charpentier (Gustave rather than Marc-Antoine)

It did occurr to me that the name sounded somewhat…. Unfamiliar.

Comment

• Roehre

Could someone please change Walsh to Welsh?

Interesting programmes, especially the Robert ap Huw I plan to listen to.

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
            Why? It's all celtic.
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

Interesting programmes, especially the Robert ap Huw I plan to listen to.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                Why? It's all celtic.
                ... up to a point, Lord Copper, up to a point. But the words Welsh / Walsh / Wales are not in themselves Celtic - they are the Germanic for "furriners - others - them over there... "

Old English Wilisc, Wylisc (West Saxon), Welisc, Wælisc (Anglian and Kentish), from Wealh, Walh "Celt, Briton, Welshman, non-Germanic foreigner;" , "common Germanic name for a man of what we should call Celtic speech," but also applied to speakers of Latin, hence Old High German Walh, Walah "Celt, Roman, Gaulish," and Old Norse Valir "Gauls, Frenchmen" (Danish vælsk "Italian, French, southern"); from Proto Germanic *Walkhiskaz. The word survives in Wales, Cornwall, Walloon, walnut, and in surnames Walsh and Wallace. Borrowed as vlachu, and applied to Romanians, hence Wallachia."

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

In spite of their name being in impeccably Venetian dialect, I did not care for La Venexiana at all.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... up to a point, Lord Copper, up to a point. But the words Welsh / Walsh / Wales are not in themselves Celtic - they are the Germanic for "furriners - others - them over there... "

Old English Wilisc, Wylisc (West Saxon), Welisc, Wælisc (Anglian and Kentish), from Wealh, Walh "Celt, Briton, Welshman, non-Germanic foreigner;" , "common Germanic name for a man of what we should call Celtic speech," but also applied to speakers of Latin, hence Old High German Walh, Walah "Celt, Roman, Gaulish," and Old Norse Valir "Gauls, Frenchmen" (Danish vælsk "Italian, French, southern"); from Proto Germanic *Walkhiskaz. The word survives in Wales, Cornwall, Walloon, walnut, and in surnames Walsh and Wallace. Borrowed as vlachu, and applied to Romanians, hence Wallachia."

Comment

• doversoul1
                      Ex Member
                      • Dec 2010

I was reminded of the remark Hilary Finch made a few years ago about I Fagiolini that their Monteverdi was too English. La Venexiana was certainly (and obviously) very un-English. If I were to choose between the two for Monteverdi’s madrigals, I’d probably choose La Venexiana.

Any recommendations, jean?

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Well I Fagiolini, obviously.

I don't quite know in what sense they are too English. I have heard other Italians sing Monteverdi, but I can't remember who they all were (and some of them weren't famous at all); I don't think they sounded much like what we heard this afternoon, though.

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Actually (having LA'd) I don't dislike all thir interpretations, but I really did not care for the Lamento della Ninfa, about 30 mins in, which is full of scoops and extra suspensions that just shouldn't be there, however Italian you are.

Comment

• amateur51

Re; the Welsh harp.

Here's the much-missed Ryan Davies in an amusing sample of penyllion singing, harp one tune, singer another.

Sort of George Formby ... with added culture

Comment

• Gordon
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              ....penyllion
                              .....penillion os gwelwch yn dda!

Diolch yn fawr am y darn doniol hwn, welais o erioed. Rhaid i mi gwenu arno, hwyl gwych iawn!!

Comment

Working...
                              X