• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Baroquery Live in Concert

We had Handel's Israel in Egypt (BBC Singers) on Monday, and a couple of secular Bach Cantatas on Tuesday (Dunedidn Consort) and tonight there's an instrumental programme based around Muffat and his contemporaries (Harmonie Universelle). Just thought I'd flag these up and maybe elicit some comments.
  • Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    We had Handel's Israel in Egypt (BBC Singers) on Monday, and a couple of secular Bach Cantatas on Tuesday (Dunedidn Consort) and tonight there's an instrumental programme based around Muffat and his contemporaries (Harmonie Universelle). Just thought I'd flag these up and maybe elicit some comments.
    The very idea of baroque has never appealed to me. However, I happened to switch on the radio this evening just as the latter concert had commenced. I thought that the first piece was very moving and hadn't a clue what it might be. I now discover it was a sonata by Georg Muffet. I have to say that it was a bit of an eye opener and weirdly it seemed surprisingly relevant.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

I was somewhat disappointed by Dunedidn Consort but it may well be a transmission problem, as the audience sounded very appreciative. Listening to the concert on the radio, the voices and the instrumental part did not sound quite like an ensemble. Did I hear the announcer saying that the soprano was Elin Manahan Thomas?

I thoroughly enjoyed Muffat and his contemporaries.
      Last edited by doversoul1; 24-05-12, 09:11.

Comment

• Pegleg
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
        I was somewhat disappointed by Dunedidn Consort but it may well be a transmission problem, as the audience sounded very appreciative. Listening to the concert on the radio, the voices and the instrumental part did not sound quite like an ensemble. Did I hear the announcer saying that the soprano was Elin Manahan Thomas?

I thoroughly enjoyed Muffat and his contemporaries.
        The start of BWV 207 didn't seem quite right to me, so maybe there were transmission problems. I thought Nicholas Mulroy gave a strong performance throughtout along with other male singers, but the female singers were less convincing at times, particulalrly the mezzo aria in 207 seemed a bit weak but that may have been due to the broadcast. Yes I did hear Elin Manahan Thomas announced before the start of BWV 201. They certainly didn't sound as cohesive as on their recordings.

Handel in Egypt was a bit of a curate's egg. The band was v. good throughout as was the chorus in parts 1 and 2, but sadly the soloists in part 3 did not shine. A bit disappointing.

The Harmonie Universelle concert was/is well worth listening to. Some fine string playing in an interesting programme bookended by Muffat sonatas from his "Armonico tributo". The http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hrjmr playlist has now been corrected to show what they actually played on the night.

I'm looking forward to this on TTN on the 27 May : a programme of music by Rebel, Zelenka, Telemann and CPE Bach with Freiburg Baroque Orchestra conducted by Gottfried von der Goltz.

Is that a repeat? It seems vaguely familiar.

Comment

• Pegleg
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          The very idea of baroque has never appealed to me. However, I happened to switch on the radio this evening just as the latter concert had commenced. I thought that the first piece was very moving and hadn't a clue what it might be. I now discover it was a sonata by Georg Muffet. I have to say that it was a bit of an eye opener and weirdly it seemed surprisingly relevant.
          If you enjoyed that you might like to listen this version by Ensemble 415 / Chiara Banchini. The larger forces with the addition of winds, etc produce a completely different presentation. A kind of baroque big band with a rich and beautiful sound. http://youtu.be/HVpxk9xbct4 Georg Muffat Armonico Tributo Sonata No.2 in G minor

And here's Georg Muffat Passcaglia from Armonico Tributo Sonata No.5 in G major: http://youtu.be/LeEmJPixNAY that finished last night's programme.

Otherwise, here's a Gustav Leonhardt version for further comparison: http://youtu.be/P4GuwPcdiE4

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Of the three concerts, I didn't hear Israel in Egypt but can well imagine what it might have been like. I too thought of the Dunedin Consort:

They certainly didn't sound as cohesive as on their recordings.
            Their director (Mr Butt) is a very talented fellow, but the sum was less than the parts as we heard it on R3, despite, as you say, some good male soloists including Tom Hobbs.

Harmonie Universelle was the one that shone in my opinion, Despite the music being by lesser lights, it all sounded wonderful.

Comment

• PJPJ
              • Nov 2010

From the Lufthansa Festival of Baroque Music: Harmonie Universelle, directed by Florian Deuter play music by Muffat and the French and Italian composers who fascinated him.
              Muffat: Sonata No.2 in G minor (Armonico tributo)
              Lully: Chaconne from Phaëton
              Pasquini: Passacaglia in G
              Corelli: Sonata da camera a 3 in G op.2 no.12
              Biber: Sonata No.1 in B minor (Fidicinium sacroprofanum)
              Bertali: Sonata a 5 (Tausend Gülden)
              Muffat: Violin Sonata in D;
              Sonata No.5 in G (Armonico tributo)

Harmonie Universelle
              Florian Deuter violin/director

I enjoyed this hugely - will listen many more times........ I'd not come across Harmonie Universelle before.

Last edited by PJPJ; 25-05-12, 18:18.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Pegleg View Post
                If you enjoyed that you might like to listen this version by Ensemble 415 / Chiara Banchini. The larger forces with the addition of winds, etc produce a completely different presentation. A kind of baroque big band with a rich and beautiful sound. http://youtu.be/HVpxk9xbct4 Georg Muffat Armonico Tributo Sonata No.2 in G minor

And here's Georg Muffat Passcaglia from Armonico Tributo Sonata No.5 in G major: http://youtu.be/LeEmJPixNAY that finished last night's programme.

Otherwise, here's a Gustav Leonhardt version for further comparison: http://youtu.be/P4GuwPcdiE4
                Thank you Pegleg for your recommendations which I really appreciated.

I note that the Harmonie Universelle concert has received generally positive reviews on the thread. It was broadcast from St John's Smith Square which was just around the corner from where I used to be employed. It is a quiet oasis that also happens to be convenient for Victoria station. No tube journey necessary. All definite plus points.

I have attended a couple of concerts there in the past and I might start a thread about recommendations for inexpensive concerts in London, particularly at lunchtimes perhaps, unless there is one already?

It also got me thinking about acoustics. I wonder if the location was one reason why the performance came across on radio so well. Maybe we could have a thread sometime about concert venues in Britain and good and bad acoustics?

Telemann was featured on TTN - I had a sleepless night! - and again, dare I mention it, on Essential Classics. I could say that the latter programme was really enjoyable - I was particularly taken by the Respighi - but given the sensitivities, not least in regard to the gimmicky features which I too don't like, I will shut up at this point.
                Last edited by Guest; 25-05-12, 00:36.

Comment

• Pegleg
                  • Apr 2012

Thank you Pegleg for your recommendations which I really appreciated.
                  You're welcome, I'm always happy to share the little I know.

Telemann was featured on TTN - I had a sleepless night! - and again, dare I mention it, on Essential Classics. I could say that the latter programme was really enjoyable - I was particularly taken by the Respighi - but given the sensitivities, not least in regard to the gimmicky features which I too don't like, I will shut up at this point.
                  It's been a good week for baroque music of R3, with some good things to pick out of Essential Classics. Speaking of Respighi I'm sure you'd enjoy this ...

Ottorino RESPIGHI "Antiche Danze ed Arie", third suite, 1. Italiana: Andante http://youtu.be/frQBCmRH4RQ

Comment

• Caussade
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                    Of the three concerts, I didn't hear Israel in Egypt but can well imagine what it might have been like. I too thought of the Dunedin Consort:

Their director (Mr Butt) is a very talented fellow, but the sum was less than the parts as we heard it on R3, despite, as you say, some good male soloists including Tom Hobbs.

Harmonie Universelle was the one that shone in my opinion, Despite the music being by lesser lights, it all sounded wonderful.
                    He's Professor Butt. Glasgow University.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Pegleg View Post
                      Ottorino RESPIGHI "Antiche Danze ed Arie", third suite, 1. Italiana: Andante http://youtu.be/frQBCmRH4RQ
                      Thank you for the recommendation Pegleg. In terms of period, my reference to Respighi seemed like a bit of a diversion but given his interest in earlier music it wasn't far off the mark. I would like to hear more of these less obvious composers on Radio 3 rather than less as I find music is at its most rewarding when there is a journey of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                      X