• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

King George III: Mad about Music

King George III is widely remembered as the British monarch who suffered a temporary, debilitating period of "madness" as depicted in the play and film by Alan Bennett, "The Madness of King George", but he was also a highly cultured man; he and his Queen Consort were passionate supporters of the arts and both loved music. In the first of two programmes, Catherine Bott begins a virtual tour of London to trace the legacy of George's artistic patronage through his reign. Featuring music from Handel, JC Bach and Mozart.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014lxlj

Includes JC Bach
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

I thought Handel's Coronation Anthems were written for George II. I know nothing.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Film/TV buffs may be interested to know that the 1995 film version of "The Madness of King George" (1995), directed by Nicholas Hytner, can be seen on Film4 tonight (Sat, 17 Sept), 18.50-21.00 hrs. Nigel Hawthorne memorably recreating his original performance at the RNT, a few years earlier. A touring production with David Haig in the title role is visiting the newly renovated Matcham, Theatre Royal, at Newcastle this week. A London West End transfer in sight?

Alan Bennett, albeit bemused, took much delight on hearing that the original title "The Madness of King George III" could not be used in the film version as American audiences could be deterred on the assumption that they had missed earlier versions of King George I & II!

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Enjoyed the programme, especially the Boyce 'King Shall Rejoice'. Boyce seems to have been a very fluent and self-assured composer.

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

Yes, indeed, ardcarp. My personal favourites are the symphonies performed by the AAM and a very attractive two disc set of the trio sonatas on Hyperion by the Parley of Instruments. Do you know them?

Comment

Working...
          X