• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Music, mayhem and murder

Alessandro Stradella gives rise to an alliterative EMS this week!

Alessandro Stradella's star burned brightly but briefly. His music was glorious; his lifestyle was dissolute: embezzlement, sexual imprudence and political intrigue - Stradella fell foul of his misdemeanours in 1682 when he was murdered by a hitman at the age of just 38.

Hannah French is joined in the studio by the University of Birmingham's Professor Andrew Kirkman, who conducted a recent performance of Stradella's opera "La forza dell'amor paterno" with Barber Opera. Together they'll explore Stradella's colourful life and wonderful music, including extracts from the Birmingham performance, alongside recordings of Stradella's other operas, oratorios and orchestral works.

• eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

.....great - bright but brief....fab ....I'll listen tomorrow....(unfortunately, I spend most days old and blowing on an ember)....[actually it's more come dic like Peter Sellers pumped up parrot]....
    bong ching

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

Is it a sign of our times that the BBC thinks a composer is worth listening to, not because of the quality of his music, which is not described at all , but because he was a very naughty boy? Stradella's music is of course interesting in its own right, but everyone loves a story. As far as we know, Purcell did nothing but compose (if you compare the length of his career with the size of his output) and his music has always been considered worth hearing without titillating extras.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
        Is it a sign of our times that the BBC thinks a composer is worth listening to, not because of the quality of his music, which is not described at all , but because he was a very naughty boy? Stradella's music is of course interesting in its own right, but everyone loves a story. As far as we know, Purcell did nothing but compose (if you compare the length of his career with the size of his output) and his music has always been considered worth hearing without titillating extras.
        But part and parcel of a CotW, perhaps, where biography is at least as important as the musical analysis, and the whole is worth a week's programmes?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Sign of the times but not perhaps in quite the way(or solely) you mention. I assume it's all part of the drive to make the R3 repertoire "appealing" to a wider audience. The blurb containing only reference to the music he composed wouldn't mean (as) much to someone unfamiliar with early music, whereas mention of human failings might pique interest - clickbait in action?

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Purcell's naughty catches might well prove a way into his music, for some. Plenty of time has been spent on the non-musical aspects ts of Gesualdo's life (and by no means only by the BBC - let's not forget the Schnittke opera). Stradella's lifestyle and murder offer context to his work as a creative artist. If one reads both paragraphs of the blurb devoted to Stradella in the online listing, there is somewhat more about his music than there is about his colorful lifestyle.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              Sign of the times but not perhaps in quite the way(or solely) you mention. I assume it's all part of the drive to make the R3 repertoire "appealing" to a wider audience. The blurb containing only reference to the music he composed wouldn't mean (as) much to someone unfamiliar with early music, whereas mention of human failings might pique interest - clickbait in action?
              We come back to the perennial question: just how effective is it to make R3 appealing to a wider audience with the advertising blurb on R3 or on the R3 website? It also poses the question: what kind of already half-interested (because checking the website) listener is attracted to R3 by such advertising? Or does it not matter as long as they're tuned in to 90-93FM?

But back perhaps to The Early Music Show which I'm sure will be interesting regardless of who's listening.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                We come back to the perennial question: just how effective is it to make R3 appealing to a wider audience with the advertising blurb on R3 or on the R3 website? It also poses the question: what kind of already half-interested (because checking the website) listener is attracted to R3 by such advertising? Or does it not matter as long as they're tuned in to 90-93FM?
                They should follow it up with a rebroadcast of David Pownall's excellent "Music to Murder By" - Gesualdo did it all, and there's a Warlock for the Harry Potter fans.

But back perhaps to The Early Music Show which I'm sure will be interesting regardless of who's listening.
                I'm hoping that EMS will tempt Catherine Bott back, post Classic FM.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

I'm looking forward to the survey of Stradella's music on EMS, titillating extras and all. In preparation, I'm just listening again to a very attractive recently acquired recording. https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...olin-sinfonias

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

I'm afraid I'm guilty of using R3's titillating title (yes a I can do alliteration too) as my heading for this thread. If such things draw in listeners who might otherwise 'give it a miss', they are perhaps excusable. I've long been interested in Stradella's music, and I hope EMS will bring (possibly little known) parts of his output to us. I'm a child of The Barber Institute in Brum, so have a particular interest in today's programme. As a student I helped in many ways (backstage and in the chorus...where there were any) in pioneer Anthony Lewis's day. He probably won't be mentioned, but he was among the first to stage what were then (1960s) considered unstageable Baroque operas.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Not yet up on Sounds, but thanks for the prompt, which I would otherwise have missed.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                        and there's a Warlock for the Harry Potter fans.
                        Not for Pete's sake though - the other kind of warlock!

(Mind, the Stradella would I'm sure have appealed to the Warlock of Heseltine repute).

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                          Host
                          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Not for Pete's sake though - the other kind of warlock!
                          (Mind, the Stradella would I'm sure have appealed to the Warlock of Heseltine repute).

(But not taking the Michael... )

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

(But not taking the Michael... )

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                              • Nov 2010

....did I hear the refrain of Arthur Neagus' Going for a Song in one of the last works (almost said 'number' in Alan Freeman manner)....
                              bong ching

Comment

Working...
                              X