• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Linlithgow Palace Reborn

Music from Renaissance Scotland as it would have been heard in the now-ruined Royal Chapel, whose lost acoustic has been reconstructed for a new recording by the Binchois Consort. Hannah French is joined by James Cook of Edinburgh University, who led the project to carry us back more than half a millennium to the great pleasure palace of the Kings of Scotland.

I really enjoyed the early 16th century music in this programme, and the connection with Robert Carver (and his tatty manuscript!) was fascinating. I was less certain about the scientific recreation of the acoustics of the now ruined chapel. Hmmm. It involved the Bionchois Consort recording in an anechoic chamber and then having their voices modified by some clever engineering. It sounded good (especially the countertenors) though if they'd just sung in a decent building I'm sure they'd have enjoyed it more and saved a lot of bother. But I gather it was part of a PhD exercise.

A lovely programme though, with a good ratio of music:talk.

Music from Renaissance Scotland as it would have been heard in the now-ruined Chapel Royal

Sorry for the late posting. I got a bit distracted by tennis on Sunday.
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Very interesting idea. I shall make an effort to listen to this one.

Comment

• CallMePaul
      • Jan 2014

I have not heard the programme but have bought (and enjoyed) the CD. There seems to be plenty of scope for more early music from Scotland; I do not know who owns the rights to the Collins Classics (I think!) series of Carver's masses and other church music, but I would hope that it can be reissued. I used to have one of the discs but lost it to a burglary, but the label disappeared before I could replace it orbuy any other discs in the series.

Comment

Working...
      X