Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Charles at Windsor 16th Feb

No not that Charles:

Music for Charles II at Windsor Castle
    The Early Music Show

Lucie Skeaping visits Windsor Castle, where Surveyor of the Queen's Pictures Desmond Shawe-Taylor shows her some of the rooms, art and music associated with King Charles II.

Music by Matthew Locke, John Blow, John Jenkins, Henry Lawes, Richard Mico and Henry Purcell is performed by thirteen young musicians from London's Royal College of Music, brought together by the RCM's Chair of Historical Performance, Ashley Solomon.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I thought for the first 10 mins that it was going to be one of those 'talk-over' shows with music in the background. Happily, after the royal sight-seeing tour was over, we got a proper recital in front of an audience, excellently played by the RCM students. Definitely worth a listen, especially for the excellent counter-tenor and soprano soloists...surely destined for a flourishing career?

Many of the composers who had hidden in the woodwork during The Commonwealth returned to duty as court musicians at the Restoration, but still adhered to a a past imitative style. Charles II, OTOH, had a taste for the French early Baroque, so it was only towards the end of the programme that we heard songs of that ilk by Hunfrey, Lawes and Locke. It is extraordinary that viol fantasias continued to be written (e.g. by William Lawes and Purcell) maybe as a deliberate gesture to a bygone golden age?

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Yes, I almost turned the radio off, thinking 'this should be on TV'. I'm glad I didn't or I would have missed the counter tenor - what a voice. Not so keen on the soprano, although she got better.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

You mirror my thoughts, odders. The sop started off quite wobbly, but proved herself capable of some straight notes, especially when duetting.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

I thought this was excellent with a very good interviewee and some very polished performances from the young students . I never cease to be amazed at the talent coming out of the Royal Colleges particularly the singers. Musically I am looking forward to the next thirty years ( let’s be optimistic)

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
            I thought this was excellent with a very good interviewee and some very polished performances from the young students . I never cease to be amazed at the talent coming out of the Royal Colleges particularly the singers. Musically I am looking forward to the next thirty years ( let’s be optimistic)
            And how lucky they are to have access to original instruments, thanks to the RCM collections. More here https://www.rcm.ac.uk/museum/exhibitions/

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I never cease to be amazed at the talent coming out of the Royal Colleges particularly the singers.
              Agreed. Many are not 'callow youths' though. Some will already be postgrads with quite a bit of experience behind them.

Comment

Working...
              X